Problems With Getting Prep

omver

Two problems;

One, my doctor keeps spouting about how condoms should be enough and that I really don't need extra protection.  Been thinking of switching doctors because of this but limited to the one clinic I'm at (health insurance limitations).  

Second, I have seen the ID doctor but sadly he's leaving the clinic leaving anyone he sees with a NP.  I saw him and he said I should wait till after my final test came back and to call back to get a prescription.  Problem is getting a hold of anyone that know's of PrEP yet alone who will prescribe it.  

Also, when ever I talk to anyone at my clinic or health insurance company no one seems to know anything about PrEP and seem to have a strong dislike covering cost for something that isn't, in their mind, needed .  Hell, when I was on PEP a few months back I was teaching the nurses what it was and what it would do.  

Should I look into getting a different doctor and keep pestering about it till they let me get it? It's just mind boggling how frustrating this is for me.  

any advice, or discuss your stories with dealing with your doctors/clinics about PrEP and how you solved it.

I get my PrEP from an ID doc.  Initially she required a referral from my primary care physician.  At my last visit with the ID doc, I asked if they still needed referrals, and she said no.  At this point, they'll see anyone calling about PrEP without any referrals (and that by this point the receptionists know this).  Try calling up a couple of different ID docs on your insurance plan and see if they will prescribe PrEP.  

Two problems;

One, my doctor keeps spouting about how condoms should be enough and that I really don't need extra protection.  Been thinking of switching doctors because of this but limited to the one clinic I'm at (health insurance limitations).  

Second, I have seen the ID doctor but sadly he's leaving the clinic leaving anyone he sees with a NP.  I saw him and he said I should wait till after my final test came back and to call back to get a prescription.  Problem is getting a hold of anyone that know's of PrEP yet alone who will prescribe it.  

Also, when ever I talk to anyone at my clinic or health insurance company no one seems to know anything about PrEP and seem to have a strong dislike covering cost for something that isn't, in their mind, needed .  Hell, when I was on PEP a few months back I was teaching the nurses what it was and what it would do.  

Should I look into getting a different doctor and keep pestering about it till they let me get it? It's just mind boggling how frustrating this is for me.  

any advice, or discuss your stories with dealing with your doctors/clinics about PrEP and how you solved it.

I think anyone, even a NP can issue a prescription. And all you need is quarterly checkups for STDs and kidney. It's totally cool to educate your doctors or NPs about this. They are 'general' practitioners and they don't know everything. The one that thing you really want, is that they are supportive, so the first doctor doesn't sound a good match. Just look for anyone in the clinic and if not go somewhere else.

This page contains a ton of resources one being a brochure you can bring with you to the doctors appointment to enlighten them if necessary.  Their failure to be up to date on the latest medical news should not be a reason that you are unable to reduce your risk while having a sex life that you find fulfilling (getting filled with cum).

https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/pre-exposure-prophylaxis/