Are Bathhouses Getting Pricey/expensive Where You Live?

PozSlime

I've noticed lately that Steamworks in Chicago has been raising prices for lockers or rooms. Over the past several years the cost of a locker has slowly risen from $10 to $19. Man's Country has held its price quite steady, but is a more run-down tub. I like both. Have had some of my hottest encounters at both.

Any BZer who has been a BH regular where ever you live has likely seen the numbers of men at baths plummet in the past 15 years due to smart phones apps, online hookups sites, combined with bad economies and financially broke fags. Many can't afford rising prices and are staying away from the baths because of high prices for rooms and lockers.

I fully understand the conundrum that bathhouses are in. Falling revenues are necessitating price increases. Less men = less revenue/profits. Baths may have no choice but to raise prices to stay afloat.

So, I get the need for higher prices.

Do you think if baths lowered their prices for say, a trial run, would it bring in more men?

It hurts my nostalgic heart to see our baths and sex clubs closing.

Hearing the news that the Bijou Theater in Chi was closing was tough to bear. I felt like I left a piece of my perverted sexual soul there. I'm glad I have the memories of that once beautiful pigpen, a real den of pigsex heaven. Same with the old Man's World bath in Chi that closed back in 2006 due to gentrification. FUCKING GENTRIFICATION.

Are baths pricing themselves out of business in the smartphone/online hookup era?

Thoughts?

the ones in the UK near me havent gone up much, if they have, its been like 50p or something, next to nothing

overheads go up in any business, its just a given that prices will go up to the consumer eventually.

the one i go to regularly is about £9 if you go between certain times, and £12 other times.. but on select theme days you also get a free hot buffet in with that price too, and your towels, locker and lube too. ive been a few in the uk and i find that to be around the norm.

• Upvote 1

the ones in the UK near me havent gone up much, if they have, its been like 50p or something, next to nothing

overheads go up in any business, its just a given that prices will go up to the consumer eventually.

the one i go to regularly is about £9 if you go between certain times, and £12 other times.. but on select theme days you also get a free hot buffet in with that price too, and your towels, locker and lube too. ive been a few in the uk and i find that to be around the norm.

Yes, I fully agree that as costs of running a bath get more expensive, they need to stay afloat by raising prices. Some baths have great amenities as well and that all costs money. I've just noticed that in the past 15 years or so, since internet and smartphone hookups are part of why baths are seeing fewer guys show up and they are forced to raise prices, which can drive even more guys away.

Its a double edged problem. Damned if they raise prices too high, and damned if they don't or they go bankrupt.

Here in Toronto Steamworks was $15 for a locker tonight (Thurs). It's a little more expensive on the weekend, and a little cheaper earlier in the week. It wasnt too bad - there were maybe 20-30 guys there during the two hours I was there. Unfortunately I think the baths are past the point where discounts are going to help bring in any more. If I was a bathhouse owner, I'd think about hiring some cute slutty rentb-ys as ringers to help spark more action. Most guys these days (myself included) are really too shy for their own good. It's like a slot machine; one good encounter will keep me coming back time after time, even though I'm usually disappointed.

Interestingly if you look up Steamworks (or many other places) on Google, their business listing now shows you exactly when it's busy (based on anonymized cellphone location data). As you might guess, Friday and Saturday late nights are the only time it's hopping anymore.

I haven't been to a BH for quite some time simply because there are none close to where I live now. But I have been to many in the past when I lived somewhere else.

On the one hand I do think that online hookup sites have an impact on the number of visitors but on the other hand the experience of a BH is unique. The sexual tension, the music (usually thumping disco, at least where I used to go) the cruising (with or without a towel), cabins and playrooms etc. create a special atmosphere that is addictive. And of course it is a much safer environment than cruising in the outdoors, even online probably as you never know upfront what the stranger you're hooking up with is like (hide your valuables and make sure you can defend yourself if necessary!).

I fully understand that the costs for maintenance, staff etc. need to be recovered by the entrance fees and maybe income from parties if those are organized by someone), and preferably need to make a profit too. But raising the entrance fees seems to be counterproductive. Less men will go if it becomes too expensive. I Iooked at the prices at Amsterdam's newest BH, the Nieuwezijds Gay Sauna. Standard entrance fee is €19.50 including a free drink ($ 21.70), €14.50 ($16.12) when you're under 26 yo. For many men that is no longer a "Oh, I'll hop in and see what's going on" price. Many would turn to a hookup site instead for quick sex foregoing the BH experience and save the cash.

BHs could try to organize special nights like Bear Night, Naked Only night etc. and thus try to attract a bigger crowd. But that only works in bigger cities where there is a big enough diversity of gay men. But you can also not have too many of those theme nights as some would be put off by the theme and decide not to go that night even though they are horny as fuck.

A reduced entrance fee ("50% off in April" or "unlimited drinks during March") could work to attract additional guys (and hope they are turned on enough to return when prices go up again), but they are likely to make a loss during those special offers which needs to be recovered in "regular" months.

So I think it's not easy running a BH at reasonable attractive prices and still make a profit. I do hope they stay though and somehow make it work. I would love to go again some time, even though I am older now and less likely to be the center of lust ;-)

The two in Seattle are on Capitol Hill which is an area that is seeing lots of redevelopement and increases in rents, which has forced out some longtime businesses that were popular on the hill.  I am not sure about the ownership of the Steamworks buidling and property but being they are in the process of replacing the steam generator for the  steam room there I would guess that they have a long time lease or the building or own it.

Club Z which is like the Mans Country of Seattle is in an older building and tends to be a more hard core crowd free of attitude.  It's building is one that I would imagine develoopers would love to get thier hands on being it is across the street from the fancy Starbucks Roasters and the building itself is old and not that great looking from outside.  But the current owner who lives in MT has no plans to sell.  This article from years back discusses the ownership http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/bleak-house/Content?oid=31580

But I am sure that baths in other cities are facing issues like being located in an area where the cost of living it rising gentrification is occuring.  Like here in Seattle the Cap Hill area is still a gay area but many of the gays have moved to more affordable neighborhoods and the only ones who can afford to live on the hill are the tech and Amazon workers who tend to be mostly straight.  Parking has gotten harder and harder to find in the area where the Z and SW are located so I am sure that has a negative impact on business for guys coming from the burbs.