Its Time America Adopt Similar Gay Protection Laws To The Uk..

PozSlime

PozSlime

When a North Carolina state Republican senator took the floor of the North Carolina Senate and proclaimed that he will fight "to keep North Carolina STRAIGHT"

which pretty much describes the anti-gay mood of Republicans.

The 1st Amendment is there I guess because unpopular, probably extreme views of tday might be mainstream thinking, say 20,30 or even 50 years from when they are pronounced. In the 1920s, gay rights were probably unpopular, and talking about them was considered improbable and extreme. However, lots of countries don't have the 1st Amendment and still manage to have a free exchange of ideas.

7 - the nazi coded number given to gays before they were executed for being gay at a concentration camp - mind you, the Americans who were supposed to be liberators rearrested the gay men who were in the concentration camps, as gay sex was still very much illegal in 1945. Many of the men committed suicide after being arrested, among other injustices. (http://www.hardenet.com/homocaust/liberationforothers.htm#cont) .  

Islam is just another right-wing man-made religion of hatred and oppression of women and gay people.

Islam is doing its all out best to rival Christianity in the realm of gay oppression and violence against gay people ALL OVER THE GLOBE. In many Muslim countries it is common for them to throw gay people off the tops of tall buildings to kill them

Shocking as it might be, the most populous Muslim country is not Iraq, nor is it Saudi Arabia. it is Indonesia, and although there is sharia law in Acheh province, and yes, there are public canings to enforce sharia law, but in Jakarta, it is possible to be gay, and openly so in Indonesia. Yes, it is difficult to be transsexual, but it is also difficult in Canada and the USA. (http://jakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/news/indonesia-still-far-from-a-rainbow-nation/)  The fact that LGBT issues are openly discussed is encouraging.

• 2 months later...

I agree with BiAggie and nasty bottom. You can't generalize that all gun owners and speech needs to be suppressed to provide safety. Once  speech and guns go underground they become more dangerous.  Btw I'm a gay man who is a Christian republican gun owner. I carry to protect myself.  And I see some good in either of those organizations beliefs. I can't throw our all of their beliefs based on one or two issues. The only way to change attitudes of these organizations is to be part of them and participate so they know and are exposed to gay men and not afraid of us.  Part of the problem with any minority, whether it is gay, black, Jewish, etc., is that we tend to associate with ourselves, because we are comfortable being with people like ourselves.  This isolation may be seen by the majority as reverse discrimination.  We have to get out and associate with others unlike ourselves to win their acceptance.  This may be out of our comfort zone and very difficult, but is the only way they'll be educated about us.  You can't legislate people liking or accepting you, you have to engage them.  Sorry, i did  not intend for this to,seem preachy, and this may have stayed off of topic a little, but couldn't find another place to link it. 

Personally, when I was a teenager, growing up in a fairly well-off, liberal family, to the extent I was aware of guns, I couldn't understand why anyone would want one and thought they were a little dangerous and scary.

My time in the Army cured me of that.  I don't own any guns or rifles now, but would have no objection to any of the people I know owning them (and a few do; I live in Arizona, which has very liberal gun laws).  My experience is that having some good solid training in how to store, care for and handle weapons took away the fear of them for me and helped me to see them for what they are:  a tool.

Does the relative availability of guns increase my personal risk?  Sure it does, a little.  Not as much as getting behind the wheel of my car and driving with the nutjobs out on I-17 though.  Risk is a part of life.  That's why we bareback, right?  A life that was 100% safe would be pretty damn boring.  Seems to me, personally, that the freedom to own a weapon is worth a little bit of elevated risk.

• 4 months later...