sling construction

stmplant

I am thinging about bluiding my own sling and frame do you guys have any ideal of what size Pipe I should use I was thinking sch80 1" pipe ?

I've seen and been in slings built with frames of varying kinds before and I have to say that I really don't like them much at all. Even if the frame is well built and can support plenty of weight, they usually feel less than safe, which can be a real distraction.

Remember, a sling not only has to support the weight of the bottom but also will be subjected to forces backwards and forwards (when you get a reasonably active top fucking) or even side to side. It's very difficult to create a rigid structure that will stand up to all of that force and still feel (and be) solid.

IMO, you're much better off going for the eyehooks in beams if that's at all possible. It's still fairly easy to remove the sling when its not in use and the eyehooks themselves can be camouflaged pretty effectively if you don't want to have to explain what they're doing there (hang potted plants, suspend lamps, whatever).

I have a sling (that I purchased) from Forttroff.com. I feel safe in it and has used it for probably 4 years. Before spending the money on a sling, I tried to use the eye hooks in the ceiling. I began pulling on the hooks once installed and thought the drywall on the ceiling was going to come down on top so I immediately stopped and purchased a sling stand instead. They go up easily and hide easily also.

Building your own would take some skill and probably some welding. As mascdnvrman mentioned it does have to be able to take some force and weight. I also purchased a canvas sling because the leather one were so expensive. I have like the canvas because you can easily throw it in the washing machine.

Before spending the money on a sling, I tried to use the eye hooks in the ceiling. I began pulling on the hooks once installed and thought the drywall on the ceiling was going to come down on top so I immediately stopped and purchased a sling stand instead.

The trick is making sure your eyehooks are big enough and that you get all four securely in a joist (NOT just drywall). Having someone with a right tools (insert stud detector joke here) do it for you is definitely a good idea...having your bottom come crashing down is not a good scene (and potentially a really dangerous one, especially if someone's hand or a large toy is inside him at the time).

The Fort Troff design is fairly standard from what I've seen. I personally would not recommend using PVC or other plastic pipe to construct it if you are going to go that way. Steel is much more reliable, ideally welded, like likaleather says. But then, of course, it's probably not going to be easy to put it away. I'd personally recommend biting the bullet and just buying the sling from someone like Fort Troff if you want to go that way. That way someone else will have already worried about the design and materials and you'll feel more confident about your setup.