Shiny New Coin

Warren hated his name. "Warren" just sounded so blue collar and like a mechanic who'd fix your transmission or something. He was always complaining about his life because he thought he'd been dealt a bad hand. He came from a family of hard-working people, but he was a reader and a thinker. He was one of those kids who kept a diary, but written in a language he'd invented. If his snoopy mom ever found it, she'd have no idea what she was reading. He also drew in a sketchbook he'd been given as a birthday present. Drawings and doodles recorded as much about Warren's life as the words did. His older brothers thought he was a sissy with all his books,drawing and his perfectly neat room. His brothers were all working guys..."real men". One brother worked in construction  and the other two drove trucks full of whatever. None of them were ever close. They never talked to each other or hung out. 

Warren knew something about himself. A private thing. Maybe the whole family knew it even if they didn't know they knew it. His oldest brother once came into his room late, late at night when he though the younger brother was asleep. He only sort of was. Warren felt spongy flesh on his lips as he continued to fake sleep. Yep. His brother had his naked dick on the boy's lips. Then he stopped and masturbated right over the kid's face. Warren soon felt some thick fluid spray on his face and bare shoulders. It happened a few more times that year. Didn't make sense to Warren. His brother had so many girlfriends...didn't they let him do that for him? Maybe not. He knew it was Luke...something about the smell and the 'vibe'. 

By 1993, Warren was about to graduate from high school. The brothers had all gotten married and moved elsewhere. He knew more things, and hated his stupid life even more intensely. AIDS was in the news. There were men like him dying and protesting and fighting for "rights". Such a mess he'd been born into. Maybe this new President Clinton could fix it all by the time he had to worry about the consequences of being GAY. He'd gotten an academic scholarship to a school in a different state. It wasn't a full ride, but it was close enough that his parents let Warren go. It was one of those "liberal" schools according to the dad. Warren thought that meant they just liked Democrats. He didn't yet know that was another word for "free" and "caring". He'd find out soon enough.

That college campus was so different. People of various colors and religions were everywhere. And gays. So many gays. Warren felt like he could finally exhale. At an orientation event, Warren met Orlando. Now, that was a name! Lucky. Orlando was from Cuba and darkly handsome. Not that tall..and not very young for a college student. He was maybe in his 30's already. His lower jaw jutted out just a bit. 

"Are you a new freshman?"

"Yeah. And a hick. This is all new to me."

"How many credit hours are you taking?"

"Just 14."

"Just? That's a lot for your first semester."

"I'm on scholarship. You have to take at least 12 hours on academic scholarship."

"Yeah. Well, eat your Wheaties. It's gonna be tough."

"How many are you taking, Orlando?"

"Three. I pay my own way and am slowly trying to get a music degree."

Warren stopped being interested at that point. This older guy was like his brothers -- old guy with very small goals. His brothers got excited and bragged about 4 % raises at their shitty jobs. 

"Nice to meet you, Orlando. I'm gonna go finish unpacking."

"What are you doing later tonight? There's a dance at the Union. I'll be there. I'll introduce you to some people."

Warren never danced and didn't like people that went to dances, but he probably needed to meet people eventually. "OK. Like around 8 or so?"

"Yeah! You have to be 20 to drink beer, but I'll sneak you some."

"Cool. Bye."

Warren wandered back to the dorm. He'd never had a beer in his life. He knew from watching his brothers that beer made people stupid and made them vomit. No thanks.

He wore what he'd worn all day to this dance thing. He wasn't John Travolta and didn't plan on being visible. Or dancing. He liked old Motown hits and thought if there was indeed a "god", she would look like Aretha Franklin. Now... there was just grunge and techno and mindless bimbos who couldn't even really sing. Warren scanned the crowd. Not many kids were dancing...but a lot of them were gathered on the side. Way more guys than girls. No Orlando in sight. He'd stay for five more minutes and then leave. 

"Hey! You're here! I thought you blew me off."

Orlando.

"Just got here. What is this all about?"

"Here. Finish my beer. I'll introduce you to my friends."

That wasn't an answer. He grabbed Warren's hand and led him for what seemed like a mile. And then they were in a pretty dark corner of the 'ballroom' where a group of three guys stood with cups of beer. 

"Is this a gay dance, Orlando?"

"DUH! I thought you knew already. You're gay, right?"

"No...well, yeah. But..."

"Hey! This is Warren. He just started as a freshman. Share your beer and be nice ... he's pretty shy. I'm going to get another beer...who wants?" Two of them gave the signal for a refill. The third one just drilled his eyes into Warren. A short, stocky Mexican man wearing shorts and sandals.There was energy going back and forth between these two strangers. Warren was out of character when he just walked up to the guy and introduced himself...

"Hi. I'm Warren. What's your name?"

"I'm Antonio..Tony. Call me either." This guy seemed had seemed so guarded and unfriendly at first, but now his face brightened.  Smiling.

"good to meet you, Tony." Another good name he would have traded for.

"How do you know Orlando?"

"I don't, really. We just met earlier today...at that thing in the quad."

"And you're gay?"

Warren exhaled and just said "yes" with a sense of relief. It had to be said at some point. 

"It's okay. You're in a safe place, so to speak. Want some of my beer?"

Warren couldn't believe he was drinking beer at a gay party. College would be fun. It would change him.

"Thanks, Tony. Are you going to dance tonight?"

"No. I didn't wear shoes for dancing. Plus I hate this kind of music. I mostly listen to salsa."

What? Warren only knew salsa as a dip for chips. He assumed it was a spicy kind of music. Probably Latin.  The two of them continued to make idle chat and slowly moved closer together. 

When Orlando came back with several beers, he glared at Warren like an angry teacher. He took him aside.

"Did you kiss him? Did you drink from his cup? What happened?"

"No! Of course we didn't kiss. I drank a few sips from his cup, though. Why?"

"He's got the AIDS virus. You can't get that from the cup, but I think he has other things too. I've been going to this school for ten years, and over that time I've seen AIDS move in and claim plenty of men. You're new and I'm not comfortable with seeing you start up anything with Tony."

Warren couldn't respond. The beer taste in his mouth suddenly turned bitter. He sometimes brushed his teeth so hard that his gums bled. He knew blood was a way for that virus to get in. He had brushed right before he got there. Bad? He liked Orlando's show of concern. But he still felt drawn to Tony. What if he never saw him again?  It was a big campus. New thoughts and feelings were hitting his brain like a boxing glove assailing a punching bag. Bam!

"I know you probably don't dance, but would you like to go with me for refills? Just stay behind me."

Warren followed him to where beer was being served, but didn't linger too close. He tried to be invisible, but was aware that he was being looked at. He and Orlando drank their beers and watched the crowd.

"Do you like this music." Warren asked him

"Not at all. I like the classical stuff. I hope to someday be a composer. But this is the music most gays like. What do you listen to?"

"Old R&B, mostly. I love Aretha Franklin and Marvin Gaye."

The conversation came to an abrupt end when dome random friend of Orlando's showed up and begged him to dance. Warren was alone in a crowd of gays. He decided to go back to the corner and look for Tony, but he and the others were gone. Time to go. As he made his way to the exit, he saw Tony dancing. He was maybe a little out of it because he was barefoot. Who the hell went out on the dance floor without shoes? But Warren thought it was kind of cute. Tony wasn't a very good dancer, which was also kind of endearing. Those dark brown eyes caught Warren's. More electricity was exchanged.

"Where's Orlando? He didn't leave you alone did he?" He was sweating a lot. Warren saw a drop go down the bridge of Tony's nose and thought to himself "There's AIDS in that drop". AIDS. It was really here and really real.

"He's dancing out there somewhere. What happened to your sandals?"

Tony looked down at his bare feet and seemed surprised. "Oh shit! I left them somewhere. I'm kind of drunk."

"No kidding. I think I am a little too. I've never really drank before."

"Let's go. It's too loud in here." He grabbed Warren's wrist and led him out. Somebody at the door asked if they wanted a hand stamp to get back in. Tony ignored them. They enjoyed the luxury of quiet as they got in the elevator. It's funny how much you miss silence after being in a place like that. Warren could still hear some of that last song in his head.

"What did Orlando tell you about me. He didn't like us talking -- I know that much."

"He didn't say anything about you," Warren lied. "We just talked about music."

"Oh. OK. Where do you live?"

"It's just across Potter's Park here. Can you walk that far with no shoes on?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm always barefoot...I've got the thickest,most calloused soles you've ever seen."

They set off across the park. It was well-lit and there were little blue boxes for calling security if you needed it. At the orientation, they warned people not to pick up these phones out of curiosity...the campus cops would come even if the phone was lifted off the hook. All of this had happened a few years before Warren had arrived, A few muggings and rapes had happened and it was demanded something be done.

Warren looked down at Tony's bare feet, padding unprotected on the sidewalk. Warren remembered walking around barefoot as a kid during the Summer. He once stepped on a nail attached to a small piece of wood. It hurt, but he was more surprised than in pain. He limped toward the house with the whole mess still attached to his foot. He'd cried so loud and then had to go get a tetanus shot on top of all that. A cold shudder went through him. One bad childhood memory among many others. 

"You lied to me", Tony said out of nowhere.

"Huh?"

"I know Orlando told you everything about me. He tells everybody. He's a resentful person. He's got some good qualities, but his big mouth ticks me off sometimes. You are like this shiny new coin he found on the beach and wanted to show you off."

"What do you think he told me?"

"I don't THINK. I KNOW he told you I've got HIV. Didn't he? Be honest."

"Yeah." Warren felt guilty. "He said you might have other things as well."

"Asshole. He doesn't know everything about me. But what surprises me most is that you don't seem afraid. You're here in a dark park with a guy that carries a disease. You didn't even hesitate to leave with me."

Warren took stock of the situation. He looked inside of himself and felt no fear or hesitation. He really liked the Latin man keeping him company. It made no sense. His idiot brothers made bad decisions their whole lives. Warren was the smart one. Who says he was making a bad decision?? 

"Are you sick, physically?"

"Nope. Not at all. It's supposedly like a cancer that is ready and waiting to spread. There's drugs out there for it, but I'm hoping for a cure."

"Yeah. I've read about all the progress they're making. I think they're even working on a vaccine."

"I'm biding my time. Do you have a roommate?"

"Not yet. My R.A. told me the guy wasn't coming until a few days after the semester started. He's from some other country somewhere."

Tony's mood brightened. "So you're at JSP? That's not a bad dorm...closest one to campus."

"There's a 'Dark Side of the Moon' mural on my floor's walls. My brothers listened to that album over and over again. I hated it."

"Murals are almost always bad. Ugly. Can I crash at your place tonight?"

"Absolutely. You can't really go anywhere else with no shoes."

And then Tony reached out and took his hand. Warren had never held hands with anyone but his Mom...when he was very young. Touch was a good thing. Tony's hand was a little smaller than his, but wider and thicker. It felt right. THIS was what romance felt like. What a nice night this was turning out to be.

"What's in your head right now?"

Warren paused before answering "Nothing but good things."

"Stop for a second." They were under the shade of a large willow tree by Potter's Lake. They kissed and Warren felt like he was breaking into a million pieces. This had been a long time coming. Warren had once kissed Liz Brunner at a high school dance. But their lips were closed tight. And it wasn't sexy. Tony's mouth was warm and open...his tongue was inside of the boy's mouth. Exploring and tasting. Warren let go of Tony's hand and reached around to hold him in a hug. He let them wander all over his shoulders and back. He finally dared to go down to touch Tony's ass. It was big and round. And solid. Without stopping the kiss, he pulled Warren's right hand to his crotch. Whoa! It was bigger and harder than the boy could have guessed. He also wasn't wearing underwear. Warren's mom had told him to always wear underwear, clean underwear. 

They reached a natural stopping point and kept walking. "That was nice. I like you, Tony."

"Wow." That's he said as he draped one  arm over Warren's shoulders. They walked like that all the way back to the dorm. It wasn't 11 pm yet, so they could go in the rear exit. 

On the 4th floor, Tony took a few seconds took look at the mural. Triangles with rainbows coming out of them. " You're right. This is pretty bad."

Inside the room, Warren became keenly aware of how juvenile it looked. He'd brought goofy toys and memorabilia from home. One of his favorite possessions was a plastic Q-Bert bank he'd been given as a boy. He loved that video game even though he'd never really been that good at it. Of course Tony zeroed in on that. He picked it up and chuckled. "I remember this guy. He's cute. You are so boyish."

"What do you mean?" Warren asked.

"I meant that in a good way. You held on to that little kid inside."

"Oh. Want me to turn on the TV. I don't know any of the channels yet. Choose something for us."

Tony clicked on the little TV and scanned what was available. There were UHF channels here, which Warren's home town didn't get.  A rerun of "Green Acres" was on. 

"Nothing on. Let me find something on your stereo." Suddenly Warren that his musical tastes would seem as silly as the plastic Q-Bert. But Tony was tuning the FM dial to a Latin station. Mexican music. The men who had worked on his parents' roof listened to this music all fucking day long. He wasn't really a fan...it sounded like a carnival to him. Aretha could kick all their asses. The little, barefoot Latin man started dancing just a few feet away from where Warren sat on his bed. It was sexy to watch. This guy who knew how to move his body. He took off his t=shirt and left it on the floor.If Tony forgot to take that shirt, he'd steal it and keep it forever.

He had a broad hairy chest that was a little flabby. Not bad, just hefty. A thin trail went down his gut and into his shorts. Warren's dad and brothers were pretty hairy, but not him. He was like a newborn. Tony danced to a few songs and Warren wondered if he'd do a striptease. !!! His eyes were like an eagle's as he watched.

"OK. I know this isn't your style. Put on something you like."

This felt like a test to Warren. He wanted to play something they'd both like, but also a song that would continue the mood. Al Greene! Yes! "Let's Stay Together" was one of the best songs ever recorded. As soon as it started, Tony closed his eyes "Ah, yes. I know this. Dance with me."

What? Well...He wanted to, but this was more of a listening song than a dancing song. OK. That hairy torso was pretty hard to resist. Tony removed Warren's shirt and pressed his body to his. Warren remembered slow-dancing with Liz Brunner to "True Colors" way back in the day. It was so tedious, but this wasn't. He held Tony's body to his and swayed a bit. Slow dancing never made sense until now. They resumed kissing as Tony reached over and turned out the light. Dancing in the dark with this perfect man. Yes! This kiss was different than the one n the park. It was deeper and more energetic...more meaningful. As the song was ending, Tony moved his mouth to Warren's right ear. "Want to fuck?"

Fuck? Sex? "Yes."

"Take off you pants. Take off everything and get into your bed."

So he did as he was told. In the dark with only some streetlights coming in the window. "I...I don't know to do anything, Tony."

"I'll teach you a few things. Want me to shower? I'm pretty sweaty and I'm sure my feet are filthy. Got a towel?"

" Forget all that and just come here."

Tony joined Warren under the cool sheets and soon climbed on top of him.  "Am I too heavy?"

"Not at all"

"Do I smell?"

"Yeah...but in a good way."

"You'll belong to me pretty soon. Can you handle that? Handle me?"

"Oh YES!"

"That was your consent, Warren. You might not like this at first."

"OK"

Then the man on top of him suddenly got heavier as he worked himself down and spread the guy's legs with his hips. Tony knew this was a virgin and it would take a little work. He aimed his hard prick just right and let the tip kiss Warren's ass.

"Yeah!!!"

"That was the easy part. I should have had you blow me first. Spit would help this."

But the oral time had passed. He had to fuck this kid. The head found the spot and moved in. He was IN!

"NO! WAIT! I CAN"T"

"Just get used to it a little. Relax. Push your ass muscles out a little. It's going to feel better." But Warren continued to protest. Loudly.

Warren 's brain was over the rainbow somewhere. He thought of stepping on a nail -- only now the nail was puncturing him in a different place. Tony moved in a little further...and further. He scanned Warren's face, waiting for his grimace to turn into a smile.

Oh god! An HIV man had his dick inside of him...and damn if it didn't seem perfect. "I'm fine. Fuck me. Cum in me."

"Whatever you say..."

The smaller man had a body made to fuck ass. His hips were strong and instinctive. Warren looked like he was in some glorious place, based on the expression on his shadowed face.

"Shit! I'm gonna come! You can't change anything at this point! UGH! Here!!!"

Warren felt the man release his seed deep inside of him. Perfect. So perfect. They napped a little...and then fucked again. It was morning when they woke up. Very early.

The sun was creeping in to find two poz men wrapped in each other's arms.

"I can drive you home, Tony. Where do you live?"

"On Ohio Street. With my Mom. She'll make us breakfast."

"Sounds great."

They walked out into the morning light, holding hands.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6

Sweet!!!!!!!!!! Toon puts us into the midst of Warrens' unknowing ways. And in comes Tony. Immediately I wanted them together. It was a perfect fit from their hellos. Their lovemaking fast, focused on the end result. Like our first sex was. We didn't know foreplay. We sucked and/or we fucked. Maybe kissing alot too.

What an awesome story! Made me remember the very first guy I brought back to studio apt. right off campus. He said hello from his car as I was walking to my apt. He gave me a ride of all the 2 blocks. Came in and that was it. In minutes we were all over each other. How cool to remember that.

Toon, you brought us into their lives and we got to live some fantastic moments with them!!

• Upvote 1