the history of barebacking

muscmtl

Already 44 answers, this is awesome, hope this continues

WHY?

So sick of the proper HIV boys taking credit for OUR discoveries,  as if the U=U and Prep suddenly happened because proper research and aids activists thought about it. Prep is my discovery, U=U is my discovery, along with my barebacking brothers who bb when it was dangerous,  when you could not talk about it to your doctor because he could report you to the police.

I'm an epidemiologist and right from the start, late 80's, I  figured out that something was going , that for some of us, bb was 100% safe, that reinfection was a fukin lie and that some negs would be negs forever.  And we were legions to bb before the meds (HAART 1996) men from everywhere, all poz, having figured out that if we bb among ourselves, all we be good, I mean for those of us, the lucky ones, for whom the virus was not causing damage.

I remember discussions with doctors and researchers (poz and bb) during sex parties, where we saw that HIV transmission was way more complex then safe sex no safe sex. Then after HAART, with 0 viral load, safe sex was over. We were the first to test barebacking negs and discover that they remained negs. Of course this was all secret, since again, we could have gone to jail. But the concept of U=U, 1997, took shape, at the same time as we wondered that if a neg took some HAART, prophylaxis, that he would be protected. We tested it among ourselves, again in secret, and we were right.

Research is a bitch, ETHICS committees would not have permitted ANY research on U=U and Prep had their not been tones of doctors reporting what they were witnessing. In order for Prep and U=U to be studied and come to pass, years of barebacking had to take place first, secret and dangerous, and not one HIV conference or Gilead has mentioned this. To all the negs out there, now free from condoms, you owe your sex free life to me, and my 80's and 90's barebacking brothers .

This is why I need to document how brave men barebacked during the worst times, and brings this secret history of HIV to light.

Hope this answer.