Scam Alert: LGBT ID

ErosWired

Yesterday I was contacted on Grindr (naturally) by a profile of a young guy with a lot of tattoos who wanted to hook up, but only if I was registered with an “LGBTSCID” - what he described as a voluntary registration service so people who want to hook up can check to make sure each other are for real and not sex offenders. He explained that he now only met with ID holders because not long ago he had been beaten up by six guys at a meetup. He directed me to a website where I could sign up in “just 2-3 minutes” and offered to walk me through the registration. So eager to help!

SCAM-O-RAMA

The Redditverse has already identified this as a complete scam that requires credit card info and results in recurring charges. Do not be fooled by this fearmongering phishery. Apparently the scammer profiles come under different names, and alternate genders as well.

No, I didn’t bite. The first clue (well, aside from the fact that a dude was pushing something on Grindr)? The face of the guy in the profile was m-u-u-uch to pretty to have been beaten up by half a dozen guys... ever.

Stay safe out there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've had it happen to me too. And I googled that shit nothing came up... SOOO right there I knew it was a scam. "He" said I HAD to use the link he provided and not to google when I called it ot reported and blocked his ass a few times since the same account kept hitting me up

Guest Memphian

This scam has been around a long time.  I've had similar solicitations via email or chat on other sites purportedly from hot women.  It was blatantly obvious to me that I was dealing with a bot.  If you want to test, just say something outrageous like "I heard you were leaving on an interplanetary mission to Mars next week.  Travel safely."  You will get a response like "That sounds hot honey, please get verified so we can hook up!"