Why is Truvada both prep and the one that treats HIV?

KYRiley

I've had a few medical professionals that assumed I was + because I'm taking Truvada (for prep).  

Part of it is understandable because Truvada is marketed for both prevention (prep) & HIV treatment (requires at least 1 other drug too with it for treatment).

Curious, if others have encountered this.

• Like 1

I wonder myself. At first I thought I'd be embarrassed to hit the lab every three months - the techs obviously know what's up with the regimen of tests I take - but then I wondered how the pharmacist would react if I picked up PrEP - but I didn't have to worry about it since I'm buying it from overseas.  For a bi guy who was never open to anyone but my wife I've been surprisingly open to discussing everything with my doctor.

It doesn't help that some of the latest commercials for PrEP are for "those dealing with HIV". I keep thinking, that's not accurate, why are they promoting it that way??  Then I'll see another commercial that shows all the stereotypical folks (us included) who are "at risk" and it discusses PrEP as a way to stay safe...on target, of course.

Weird that they're sending two messages like that.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wildbottom said:

It doesn't help that some of the latest commercials for PrEP are for "those dealing with HIV". I keep thinking, that's not accurate, why are they promoting it that way?

Haven't seen those commercials yet though I have seen the 2nd batch you referred to.

14 minutes ago, wildbottom said:

I wondered how the pharmacist would react if I picked up PrEP - but I didn't have to worry about it since I'm buying it from overseas.  For a bi guy who was never open to anyone but my wife I've been surprisingly open to discussing everything with my doctor.

The only times I've had to go to a pharmacy in recent years was because of short term scripts.  All my normal scripts are delivered via the mail.

• Like 1

This is what was recommended by several of my doc buddies:

When listing Truvada as a medication you currently take, write the designated purpose too ie.- Truvada 200mg/300mg 1X Daily for Pre Exposure HIV Prophylaxis. 

If your healthcare provider thinks you are + at that point, find someone smarter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, renovers82 said:

If your healthcare provider thinks you are + at that point, find someone smarter. 

I was referring to the ER, Urgent Care, and paramedics.

I've seen 3 different people at my provider's office and due to notes in my file, they're smart enough to know.

Thanks for the suggestion on the prescription list. 

Edited by KYRiley
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, KYRiley said:

I was referring to the ER, Urgent Care, and paramedics.

Understood 👍.  Listing the reason for Truvada will definitely help at the ER, Urgent Care, etc.  Preventative medicine isn’t something these guys typically keep current on during their continuing education.

It is so fucked up that HIV still has such a negative stigma in healthcare.  Before I was on PrEP, I had no concerns what-so-ever taking + loads as long as the dudes were on their meds.  

• Thanks 1

Truvada is not currently used for HIV treatment, unless combined with another drug. Most people will go on something Biktarvy or Genvoya. That is why it is important to test regularly while on PrEP to prevent resistance if it fails (e.g. strain resistant to Truvada, inconsistent adherence, etc.)

• Like 1