ICYMI: First new HIV strain detected in 19 years

Another strain of hiv has been identified by scientists. It doesn't seem to be drug-resistant. See: [think before following links] https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/11/07/hiv-new-strain-subtype-l-mary-rogers-journal-acquired-immune-deficiency-syndromes/

• Like 1

Guest CuriousDallas

Glad to see that Prep works for it, but I kind of wonder how long before a new strain evolves that Prep and other treatments don’t work on it emerges. Kinda freaked out about this story and the one about the guy who was good on prep and yet still got exposed. I know prep wasn’t designed specifically so you can bareback all you want but know that’s how most guys, including me, use it. Considering how many guys I play with bareback, if something new breaks it’s gonna hit a lot of people.

Guest SecretCumWhore

Don’t watch the new series Pandemic on Netflix or you’ll see how fast viruses and bacteria are evolving into mutated versions.  Like the common flu and bird flu when it mixed and the bird flu cells prevented body white blood cells from detecting those sections so it would not fight the invasion of bad virus cells. Making the person very sick or killing them.  Hiv has its drug resistant strain. So far it has not been large scale just yet. 

11 minutes ago, SecretCumWhore said:

Don’t watch the new series Pandemic on Netflix or you’ll see how fast viruses and bacteria are evolving into mutated versions.  Like the common flu and bird flu when it mixed and the bird flu cells prevented body white blood cells from detecting those sections so it would not fight the invasion of bad virus cells. Making the person very sick or killing them.  Hiv has its drug resistant strain. So far it has not been large scale just yet. 

Just a guess.... is the “Cuban strain” the result of hit-or-miss med availability there?

Guest hungandmean
On 11/11/2019 at 4:41 AM, CuriousDallas said:

Glad to see that Prep works for it, but I kind of wonder how long before a new strain evolves that Prep and other treatments don’t work on it emerges. Kinda freaked out about this story and the one about the guy who was good on prep and yet still got exposed. I know prep wasn’t designed specifically so you can bareback all you want but know that’s how most guys, including me, use it. Considering how many guys I play with bareback, if something new breaks it’s gonna hit a lot of people.

So drugs like Truvada are... like a broad spectrum of strains. They target common things and it's generally effective against people who are undetectable.

Where as actual HIV treatment is often a combination of drugs, tested against your specific antibodies. They make sure that your shit is handled. Thats how some people end up on different drugs than others, some people take 1 pill a day like Triumeq, and others end up on different regiments.

News like this will not change the landscape of HIV treatment. Go to the bath house, fuck whoever you want -- you're going to be as safe as you are now (the acceptable level of risk we all take) as before. 

This is basically just nerd science jerking itself off.