Prep-resistant HIV

Chaser75

My doctor is trying to switch me over to Descovy, but my partner is on that as part of his HIV treatment. 

if he were in the future to become resistant to Descovy and become detectable, even for a short period of time, would I be at risk for contracting HIV because I am on Descovy, the drug he could be resistant to?

this is all theoretical, he is on his meds consistently, but does it give good reason for me to stay on Truvada?

• Like 1

• Moderators

No, it does not give you such a reason. The active drug is the same in Descovy and Truvada.  It's the pro-drug form that is different between the two of them, which only affects how the drug gets absorbed and transported through the body, not how it interacts with HIV. So, if the virus were resistant to Descovy, it would be (by definition) resistant to Truvada as well.

However, it's my understanding that the drug-resistant strains are somewhat less transmissible than the wild-type strains. Also, even if the virus were resistant, the concentration in your body upon exposure would likely be much less than the amount in an infected person's body, so even if its replication were not suppressed completely, your body might be able to clear it before it could establish a foothold.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, pigpozdad said:

[think before following links] https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/02/descovy-truvada-prep-gilead-status-competition.html

Interesting read, thank you. I’m not entirely surprised that I’m being almost forced to switch for the benefit of Gilead. I was told that it reduces the side effect concern of kidney problems. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

No, it does not give you such a reason. The active drug is the same in Descovy and Truvada.  It's the pro-drug form that is different between the two of them, which only affects how the drug gets absorbed and transported through the body, not how it interacts with HIV. So, if the virus were resistant to Descovy, it would be (by definition) resistant to Truvada as well.

However, it's my understanding that the drug-resistant strains are somewhat less transmissible than the wild-type strains. Also, even if the virus were resistant, the concentration in your body upon exposure would likely be much less than the amount in an infected person's body, so even if its replication were not suppressed completely, your body might be able to clear it before it could establish a foothold.

Thank you. I’m genuinely indifferent to becoming positive, but I was curious of the science of it. 

41 minutes ago, Chaser75 said:

Interesting read, thank you. I’m not entirely surprised that I’m being almost forced to switch for the benefit of Gilead. I was told that it reduces the side effect concern of kidney problems. 

Truvada will soon be generic!!