Hepatitis B vaccine non responder advice

So today I've received the results of my hepatitis B antibody levels and they're a score of 2. I get screened for STIs every 3 months and they're negative. This is my second course of vaccines (6 doses in total) so they have concluded I'm a non responder and there's nothing more they can do. 

Is there anything more I can do? Or is there something wrong with me (underlying) which is why I'm not responding? I heard there's a 5% chance of being a non responder after 1 course and a 50% chance of being a non responder of the second. Unfortunately I fall into the 50% that didn't respond. 

Barebacking is something I absolutely adore, especially random hookups but for the first time I'm actually scared. I take prep and regular STI screenings but now Im starting to feel like because of this result I'm going to have to give this up. 

Does anyone have any advice at all? Please and thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great question. What does it mean to be a non-responder or non-respondent to the vaccine?

Are you non-respondent to the virus itself, or even more exposed? I guess I am confused by this and would appreciate any insight the community has to share.

Thanks!

A hepatitis B vaccine “non-responder" refers to a person who does not develop protective surface antibodies after completing two full series of the hepatitis B vaccine and for whom an acute or chronic hepatitis B infection has been ruled out. 

Guest WelshBBCigarFuck

I was also a non-responder to the hep B vaccine, whilst it’s a risk I haven’t let it stop me. Life is full of risks, could get run over by a bus crossing the road, etc. At the end of the day a vaccine mitigates the risk, it doesn’t always guarantee that there isn’t any risk, you need to weigh the pros and cons and then think calmly about what you do next. It’s good to talk to people, but people all have their own views and opinions. With me I am aware of the risks but I continue to bareback, that was my decision, you just need to decide which one is best for you.

I had hep a & b simultaneously about 20 years ago.  It sucks, and took about 3 or 4 weeks to work itself out.  The risk of it becoming chronic is in the 5-10% range.  Mine was acute, and now I have the surface antibodies so pretty much done with that.

Thanks for the additional explanation. I guess I still have a follow-up question or two (or three).

1. What is the consequence or "risk" of being a non-responder?
  2. What should a non-responder be doing to monitor and protect health so one can still bare-back?
  3. Does this potentially change over time? Can a non-responder become a responder?

Thanks again!

In non-responders (people with antibody levels below 10mIU/ml), serology should be checked for past or current hepatitis B infection. A repeat course of vaccine is recommended, followed by retesting of antibody levels one to four months after the second course. If there is still an inadequate response, these people will require immunoglobulin for protection if exposed to hepatitis B. 

• Like 1