Picture size for profile pic

AntnySM

All my pictures are too big in file size. I'm saving them as the smallest jpg possible and they are still to big. What am i doing wrong or how to make the file size even smaller? Or is there something I need to do make the file size i'm allowed to post bigger? 

Its been like that forever, but only for some people. As far as i can figure its not device/os/platform specific, although i dont have any apple products, so that may be the difference. I have tried linux/pc but no joy.

What, exactly, is too big? It's possible to have a small photo that is a huge file size or a large photo that is quite a small file size (like mine).

Also, what, exactly, is the error message?

My profile pic is 396x610 pixels, but it's only 87KB. It works fine. 

Check both the physical size and the file size. Give us the numbers.

Edited by TattPig
added sentence

Guest WelshBBCigarFuck

When I had trouble uploading a pic, I sent it to myself in WhatsApp and then saved it. Once I did that the saved version successfully uploaded. I use an iPhone so it could be the additional metadata IOS stores with the photo or the fact IOS tends to do “Live Photos”, try sending the pic to yourself in WhatsApp, saving it and then uploading that copy.

5 hours ago, WelshBBCigarFuck said:

When I had trouble uploading a pic, I sent it to myself in WhatsApp and then saved it. Once I did that the saved version successfully uploaded. I use an iPhone so it could be the additional metadata IOS stores with the photo or the fact IOS tends to do “Live Photos”, try sending the pic to yourself in WhatsApp, saving it and then uploading that copy.

I'm guessing that your problem was that the image was in Apple's HEIC format. When you sent it through WhatsApp it likely converted/flattened it to a JPEG which made it uploadable.

Guest WelshBBCigarFuck
Just now, blackrobe said:

I'm guessing that your problem was that the image was in Apple's HEIC format. When you sent it through WhatsApp it likely converted/flattened it to a JPEG which made it uploadable.

More than likely, that’s why I offered it as a suggestion if having the upload issue. Since vendors tend to add functions to their phones to improve image quality and features, it’s a quick and simple approach to change a problematic image into one which may upload.

1 minute ago, WelshBBCigarFuck said:

More than likely, that’s why I offered it as a suggestion if having the upload issue. Since vendors tend to add functions to their phones to improve image quality and features, it’s a quick and simple approach to change a problematic image into one which may upload.

Yup. Alternatively, you can use apps like ViewExif that allow you to save the image as a jpeg and strip PII metadata from it (GPS location, etc.) at the same time.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.