Getting on Meds

2 hours ago, rawbtm95 said:

I live in Japan right now and moving back States side early next year. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on where to get HIV meds in the US.

Im moving to NYC

There are two routes you can take, depending on whether you will have employment-based or other health insurance, or not, once you arrive.

Even with employee benefits for a pending job awaiting you, you'll need to enroll in the company's plan, and there may be a brief waiting period for doing so. If you do not have employment with benefits lined up, but you do have a job (without benefits) in place, you should be eligible for a subsidized individual insurance plan on the New York state exchange. You'll need to sign up there ASAP, as you probably won't begin the new policy until the following month. 

If you do not have a job lined up at all, while you are unemployed you should be eligible for expanded Medicaid in New York, which almost certainly will cover your medication. But again, you will have to apply for those benefits.

If there is any way to obtain a few months' supply of your meds before you leave Japan - by, say, getting a 90-day supply refilled just before you move - that may bridge any gap.

Finally: if nothing else, every state has an entity or organization that administers Ryan White Act funds, which provide funds to states for health care and other needs, including meds, for HIV-positive individuals with low or no income. In New York this is done through the Office of Uninsured Care Programs. Meds are handled specifically through the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP). Much information can be found here: [think before following links] https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/aids/general/resources/adap/ 

23 minutes ago, letsbreed said:

If you’re prescribed Biktarvy you can also look into Gilead’s Expanding Access program for low- or no-cost prescriptions. 

I'd note that Gilead produces multiple single-pill HIV treatment meds, not just Biktarvy, and Expanding Access covers access to most or all of them. That said, when evaluating you for their program, they're likely to try to push you into one of the government sponsored programs I mentioned (because that means they're not eating the entire cost). Expanding Access typically only covers full cost IF the patient really has no workable options for insurance, although it does offer a copay waiver for those who do have insurance that requires a copay.

In my case, for instance, Blue Cross covers up to $2,500 a month for my HIV meds, which leaves a copay of a couple hundred dollars. While I could cover that if I had to, Expanding Access deemed me qualified for the copay assistance so my HIV medication is essentially free (though my Blue Cross premium is substantial). 

Thanks for the tips guys, really helpful was not aware how easy healthcare is here in Japan until I started to some research for my big move. 

Most likely Im going to be there without a job so I'm definitely going to see if I can get a couple of months supply of medication with my doctor. Hopefully I can and then I can at least be okay for a bit. 

Will definitely look into the sites you all mentioned.