Does chlamydia/gono show up on blood work?

Guest50

Under standard circumstances, these STI's are confirmed with a urine test, not a blood test (on the assumption that such STI's would transfer between a man's penis and a woman's vagina, in either direction).

But yes, with an possible STI spread by oral-genital contact, or genital-anal contact, a throat swab or an anal swab would be needed to detect these in a "receptive" person. 

This is an older article on the topic, but it's apparently still on point:

[think before following links] https://www.aidsmap.com/news/may-2005/stis-will-be-missed-unless-gay-men-have-rectal-and-throat-swabs

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 12/21/2021 at 3:26 AM, Guest50 said:

I have never bottomed so I am not sure and mostly asking for my btm friend but I am hearing on some websites that blood tests don't check for that and that a bottom would need an anal and oral swab to detect that vs just a blood test.

asking for a friend?  Good one, I haven't heard this in while. *grin*

8 hours ago, BareLover666 said:

asking for a friend?  Good one, I haven't heard this in while. *grin*

I really am asking for a friend though. I am thinking about fucking him but I don't want to catch anything so I asked him what kind of test he had and he just said he had a blood test and I told him that I heard that those stis aren't checked on a blood test but he is too embarrassed to go to the free clinic to have the proper test for those stis.

4 hours ago, Guest50 said:

I really am asking for a friend though. I am thinking about fucking him but I don't want to catch anything so I asked him what kind of test he had and he just said he had a blood test and I told him that I heard that those stis aren't checked on a blood test but he is too embarrassed to go to the free clinic to have the proper test for those stis.

Anyone who's too embarrassed to tell a health care worker who specializes in sexually transmitted infections that he might need to be tested for those STI's, is someone you should probably avoid. He's precisely the sort likely to acquire an STI and allow it to go untreated because of that embarrassment. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Guest50 said:

I think your friend has told you what you need to know. He's not well-informed about sexual health and his testing practices, such as they are, don't make quick STI detection, disclosure and treatment possible.

Any sexual partner might be infected with an STI and might infect you. You yourself might be infected with an STI at some point and might infect a sexual partner.

Discussing sexual health is good, but if you "don't want to catch anything", it's not a sufficient strategy. Tests offer a snapshot not even as of the day they were taken, but sometime before that ("window period"), and there is no assurance (nor would it be realistic to expect) that a partner has (had) abstained from sex since that moment.

If you want instead to reduce your chances of getting and transmitting STIs, and to reduce the length of time that (often asymptomatic) STIs are left undiagnosed and untreated, then regular, frequent testing for yourself and for your partners is a potential strategy.

Monogamy is another strategy, but in practice, many people find it hard to uphold personally and — unless you could lock up your partners and never let them out of you sight — other people's compliance could never be verified.

Also, for other readers: don't forget  vaccinations available to protect against some common STIs: HPV (vaccine most effective for young people, but can be given to adults), Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and meningitis (vaccine recommended for gay men after sexually-transmitted outbreaks in Souther California some years ago).

Edited by fskn