Anyone changed their prep taking time?

Holeforu

I am on prep for two months now, and take it every single day at noon. it instructs me to take it at the same time each day on the prescription, but now i have schedule conflict and need to change my time to take prep. Anyone has experiences and recommends? Thanks. 

One dose taken 'late' or 'early' so you can change the time you medicate won't do you any harm, as long as you stick to your new time. If in any doubt call your provider for professional advice. I've missed my timing by hours and even days and I'm still undetectable.

24 minutes ago, Holeforu said:

I am on prep for two months now, and take it every single day at noon. it instructs me to take it at the same time each day on the prescription, but now i have schedule conflict and need to change my time to take prep. Anyone has experiences and recommends? Thanks. 

I also take it every day at noon time. However sometimes i forget ot and then its around 1pm or 2pm max. Got told that it doesn’t matter within a reasonable range as long as you try to be as consistent as possible. 

4 hours ago, Luxie-006 said:

I also take it every day at noon time. However sometimes i forget ot and then its around 1pm or 2pm max. Got told that it doesn’t matter within a reasonable range as long as you try to be as consistent as possible. 

Exactly. What this is about is how much of the drug remains active in your system and for how long. With most daily drugs, the dosage is calculated such that roughly 24 hours after taking it, you're about at the point where another dose is needed to keep the levels of the drug effective.

But that's an approximation. If you normally take at noon, but one day you forget and don't remember until 3 PM, go ahead and take it then (which will bump up the level in your system again).

Where this gets problematic, if at all, is when you forget to take that noon dose completely, and the next morning, you have receptive anal sex with a poz guy who's got a very detectable load. That scenario combines several factors: a missed dose completely, which means the level in your system is dropping significantly lower than normal, plus a risky sex act performed with a very much potentially infectious person.

After all, missing the dose but eventually making it up is "no harm, no foul" if you don't get exposed to HIV in the interim. It's not like your body "remembers" that gap and leaves you at risk.

So, go ahead and shift your dosing forwards or backwards as needed to fit your new schedule. Just don't skip any days entirely AND have unprotected sex while you're waiting to take the next dose.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Never thought of it like that. I’ve always been on and off Prep depending on how sexually active I’ve been. I understand the consequences. Even when I’m actively taking it, sometimes I’ve gotten to the end of the month and there’s still a few left.