Moderna launches clinical trail for HIV vaccine

12 minutes ago, PozCubBtm said:

My friend was telling me about this last night at the bar.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

For BZ folk who are comfortable with taking poz loads without PrEP, this is an opportunity to use that willingness to benefit others by participating in trials. Consider it! Given the numbers enrolled, I think it's still in Phase I, but they will be needing many more volunteers if it advances.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 7:20 PM, viking8x6 said:

For BZ folk who are comfortable with taking poz loads without PrEP, this is an opportunity to use that willingness to benefit others by participating in trials. Consider it! Given the numbers enrolled, I think it's still in Phase I, but they will be needing many more volunteers if it advances.

They will first have to observe those healthy volunteers taking the new medicine, for side effects, first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

They are currently recruiting for volunteer subjects in Washington, DC (George Washington U) and San Antonio, TX (U of Texas Health Science Center), with additional sites not yet recruiting in Atlanta, GA and Seattle, WA.  Contact info for the researchers is at the bottom of the clinicaltrials.gov page for the trial:

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05001373

This is only a Phase I study, and the target number of participants is small (56). The primary goal is to demonstrate safety, and the secondary goal is to evaluate immunogenicity (whether the vaccine produces an immune response). It is open to people of either biological sex, ages 18-50. They are not accepting (for Phase I) people who test positive for HIV and people who are at risk for HIV exposure (this makes sense - they need to make sure that any health results observed and any antibodies generated are from the vaccine and not from the virus).

• Upvote 1

So many variables go into the research team actually proving this will work. The study would have to be longitudinal and youd have to take into consideration the # of partners each person engages with, and the HIV status of every partner they've ever had, and the status of detectability in any poz status partner. Not sure how they can measure all of that with reliability and validity. But fingers crossed that this will work.