STDs treatment and alcohol

Hi, everyone. In the beginning of June I was diagnosed with early latent syphilis, and was treated with 2 injections of penicillin. The second one was on June 15th. The doctor told me to abstain from sex and alcohol for a month after the second shot. But isn't this piece of advice a bit too conservative? Especially regarding the alcohol? I have failed to find any data which would suggest to abstain for that long. Anybody with experience regarding the matter?

44 minutes ago, sindiktas said:

Hi, everyone. In the beginning of June I was diagnosed with early latent syphilis, and was treated with 2 injections of penicillin. The second one was on June 15th. The doctor told me to abstain from sex and alcohol for a month after the second shot. But isn't this piece of advice a bit too conservative? Especially regarding the alcohol? I have failed to find any data which would suggest to abstain for that long. Anybody with experience regarding the matter?

Maybe to let the penicillin be as effective as possible

Generally speaking, alcohol doesn't interfere with the *effectiveness* of most antibiotics. That said:

1. Alcohol can exacerbate the side effects of some antibiotics, sometimes dramatically so. Perhaps most commonly alcohol with an antibiotic will ramp up feelings of nausea, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues.

2. Alcohol raises your blood sugar level, and a heightened blood sugar level makes healing (in general) more difficult. That's why diabetics often have trouble with sores that won't heal. Depending on how deeply entrenched your "latent" syphilis is, whatever healing (beyond actually getting rid of the syphilis bacteria) is needed could be delayed.  As in: if the infection has quietly been doing damage in your system - brain, heart, liver, wherever - even if the penicillin eradicates the syphilis fairly quickly (not a guarantee), your overall recovery could still be delayed by alcohol.

Doctors give this advice for a good reason. Are you guaranteed problems if you violate this guidance? No. Are there chances of complications, some of them serious? Absolutely.

• Upvote 1