Monkeypox

willslc

It's def a concern here in NYC.  It's spread by skin to skin contact, so not strictly an STI... Tho I know one guy who thought he had gonorrhea, turned out to be the pox in his ass!

Wondering if us older guys who were vax for smallpox when kids are somewhat protected?

Edited by BadInBrooklyn

I started dating someone special a few months ago, and he tested positive a few days ago. He'd been away for a month and luckily his symptoms appeared before coming back to see me. Poor guy.

I wonder how long it will be before he's no longer contagious? And will he develop immunity now or could he get reinfected?  

It's certainly been a rollercoaster week for us. I was so looking forward to seeing him. 

• Like 1

I was treated for Gonorrhoea, and during a recent phone call to discuss blood tests I asked about Monkey pox vaccinations and was told that they were being rationed and as I am 58 years old and would have had a Smallpox vaccination as I child I would be way down the list.

still not sure what level of protection I should expect ?

On 7/14/2022 at 1:25 AM, willslc said:

How many here has caught monkeypox. I caught it in San Francisco I'm a confirmed positive. Ain't this the ultimate STI.

It isn't an STI and it is kind of dangerous/flippant to dismiss it is as one. The sores are contagious and the virus can stay on surfaces (clothes, sheets, etc.). This hypothetically means you could spread it brushing up against someone or in a way that doesn't come directly from consensual sex. Additionally, we don't know very much about this particular outbreak because the variant is mutating more rapidly than scientists would expect...so this could change. (Much like CoVid did and has with variants that are resistant to or ignore the vaccine entirely.) I STRONGLY advise people to do the research on this one and not openly put yourself at risk (and others by proxy) for something that you may not fully understand. Again, the fact this can spread via the sores and in a non sexual way is a bit more worrisome than a run of the mill STI. At the VERY LEAST, people should be doing their research on this one and at least understand the risks of having it before just accepting it. 

For your health.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

In talks here with the health department they me if I had the smallpox vaccine which I did when I was a small kid and when I joined the army. I believe that is why I've had a mild case of it. The original infection was around my anus and ass cheeks which was miserable for the first few nights. After a week it's pretty cleared up. I am not heard about my sample from the CDC. In Utah it took 12 hours to get my test back. In San Francisco it took 8 days. So I really believe that the counts being given out across the country or low.

When saying it is an STI at this point it is. It's how I got it and all the people I known that I may may have an infected or they may infected me it has been through sex. Also I have been around other people non-sexually when I first was infected in close quarters for long periods of time they have not came down with it. This is a mutation that is not fully understood and why most cases are being seen as as mild. People shouldn't be afraid but they need to be aware of what's going on. I spent a month in San Francisco when I first got there there was two infected nobody was talking about it. And two to two and a half weeks it became a big problem. I thoughts go out to the people and my friends in San Francisco.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, willslc said:

When saying it is an STI at this point it is. It's how I got it and all the people I known that I may may have an infected or they may infected me it has been through sex. Also I have been around other people non-sexually when I first was infected in close quarters for long periods of time they have not came down with it. This is a mutation that is not fully understood and why most cases are being seen as as mild.

It is NOT an STI. Respectfully, you are wrong as there have been confirmed reports of women and children having it. Additionally, I would love to see a study that shows HIV can be spread in the following way: 

image.png.5969ffc57ad52d96f1b13d94e5ef779e.png

[think before following links] https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/monkeypox

The statement 'it may not be an STI, but I may have gotten it through sex' is correct, The statement 'I got it through sex, so it is an STI' is not. You can catch CoVid during sex...does that mean it is also an STI? Additionally, your mileage or experience with Monkeypox may vary. You had a mild case...but others have not been so lucky. There are reports of people being hospitalized for a couple weeks and needing morphine.

5 hours ago, willslc said:

People shouldn't be afraid but they need to be aware of what's going on.

Absolutely agree. But they should be doing their research into what this disease is historically and WHY a massive outbreak is so perplexing. They should NOT be taking the individual experiences as objective fact and basing their choices on those. 

Not trying to be a dick, but I have seen a LOT of misinformation around this one and the whole 'gay STI' that the media is playing on this one has me worried. Historically when that happens...things tend to not go well for the gay community and you can look at the outbreak of HIV for proof. 

• Upvote 1