on-demand prep planning

miticax

Hi Folks,

Got a bottle of ricovir-em and planning for a trip to a bathhouse to get my first bb and creampie.

So I need some help in planning this, as I would go for let's say 3 days with bb.

From what I read, I need to take 2 pills at least 2 hours before sex, and then 1 pill every day at the same time for the number of days of having bb sex, PLUS 2 days after I stop having sex.

Did I get that all right?

On another note, are there any OTC pills that I can take to reduce the risk of other STDs, or help with ricovir side-effects?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, [banned word] said:

Correct, 2 pills at least 2 hours before sex. They say 2-24 hours before sex. Closer to 24 hours before sex is better.

The first two sentences are correct. The last - I am unaware of any studies that say closer to 24 hours before sex is better. In fact, given that a body starts filtering the drug as it circulates in your system, it's probably getting close to the non-therapeutic level as it approaches 24 hours.

2 hours is a minimum; based on available evidence, the level of protection in your system after two hours is generally sufficient, but it's also true that for some time after that, the level of medication in your system may continue to rise. But NOT, it should be noted, for the entire 24 hours. Well before the 24-hour mark, the drug level in your system will start to decline.

In other words, it releases into your system faster than your system is able to clear it; and for that reason, I'd say split the difference with the focus on closer rather than farther away from the first planned sexual experience: say, ten to twelve hours before. That has the simplicity of allowing you to take the pills in the mid- to late-morning for a late evening play session. Additionally, you're likely to be up and awake by mid-day each day thereafter, even if you're up late having sex, and that means you can more readily stick to your schedule.

17 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

The first two sentences are correct. The last - I am unaware of any studies that say closer to 24 hours before sex is better. In fact, given that a body starts filtering the drug as it circulates in your system, it's probably getting close to the non-therapeutic level as it approaches 24 hours.

2 hours is a minimum; based on available evidence, the level of protection in your system after two hours is generally sufficient, but it's also true that for some time after that, the level of medication in your system may continue to rise. But NOT, it should be noted, for the entire 24 hours. Well before the 24-hour mark, the drug level in your system will start to decline.

In other words, it releases into your system faster than your system is able to clear it; and for that reason, I'd say split the difference with the focus on closer rather than farther away from the first planned sexual experience: say, ten to twelve hours before. That has the simplicity of allowing you to take the pills in the mid- to late-morning for a late evening play session. Additionally, you're likely to be up and awake by mid-day each day thereafter, even if you're up late having sex, and that means you can more readily stick to your schedule.

My statement is directly from SFAF.org

Link: [think before following links] https://www.sfaf.org/wp-content/uploads/PrEP-211-study-info-flyer-ENGLISH-final.pdf

When they say "closer to 24 hours," that doesn't mean to take exactly 24 hours before sex. It just means that it's probably better to take, say, 18 hours before sex rather than 4 hours before sex. Peak concentration probably happens somewhere between 12 and 24 hours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another Q;

When starting PrEP, we are generally advised to take for 7 days before beginning DNA collection.  

IF your hole needs to continue hoovering up baby batter, and if you continue taking daily PrEP after your 2-1-1 regime (2-1-1 then 1-1-1-etc), does the PrEP level in the bloodstream prevent infection?

26 minutes ago, orlandotopdude said:

Another Q;

When starting PrEP, we are generally advised to take for 7 days before beginning DNA collection.  

IF your hole needs to continue hoovering up baby batter, and if you continue taking daily PrEP after your 2-1-1 regime (2-1-1 then 1-1-1-etc), does the PrEP level in the bloodstream prevent infection?

If you are having unprotected sex (particularly receptive anal sex) more than two times a week, the 2-1-1 schedule does not make sense except at the very beginning. At that frequency, you should be on a daily dosage without skipping at all. The problem is that with daily PrEP, you gradually build up a level of protection in your system over the week so that you can take potentially HIV+ loads regularly and still be protected. With 2-1-1 and jumping right into sex, you never go through that period where your system isn't actively fighting off an infection.

So if you're starting from 2-1-1, and want to keep having sex before the full 4-pill regimen is complete, I would double up the first several doses at a minimum - so your schedule would be more like 2-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 etc. That way, you stand a chance of getting your PrEP blood level up high fast enough to negate anything that might come along in that first week.

That said, two points: first, it's only relevant if the load is HIV+ and at a detectable level, so if you luck out and your partners are all negative or undetectable, 2-1-1 followed by daily would be fine. The problem is you can't be certain that those loads are in fact negative or undetectable.

Second, holes do not "need" to continue "hoovering up baby batter". I get that the appeal is strong, but please - let's stop pretending this is an actual "need". If you found yourself on a deserted island, or in an isolation ward in a hospital, or hell, even just camping in a remote area, your hole would survive just fine without "baby batter". Just admit you don't want to do without. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...