Is it okay to ask someone to draw him?

Gingerguy

The past year I've been very passionate about art. It helped me detouch from my "reality", get lost in the world of art and somehow that removed negativity from my life. I was good at my job, I would work out regularly and a great portion of my time was about drawing. I picked drawing classes with charcoal for a year and completed the class. Now I'm taking more advanced classes. Somehow, drawing men gives me pleasure. My teacher, how is about 35yo is a guy that I really admire and I also find very attractive. I had lots of wet dreams about him. Do you think it would sound rude, intrusive or anything like that if I'd ask him to pose for me?

I would recommend against it. There is a code of conduct associated with Life Models who pose unclothed for drawing classes, and I imagine your instructor is familiar with it and would have it front of mind. The purpose of engaging a Life Model is not to indulge sexual fantasies or to feel arousal or titillation, but to have the opportunity to focus on the work with the benefit of the actual human form close to hand, conveniently posed. Your instructor would most likely indicate the best way for you to participate in a regularly arranged group drawing session, if you do not already attend them (it is unclear from your post whether you are drawing other men who are posing).

Further, most academic institutions have standard prohibitions against any sort of contact between an instructor and a student under his or her instruction that is, or could be perceived as, romantic or sexual in nature. Your instructor would almost certainly (and absolutely should) decline for this reason.

I understand the desire to express your feelings when you see him in art - many of the world’s great works are the result of an artist’s overflowing passion toward an object of desire.

But in this case…no.

Have you thought about getting a big mirror…?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ErosWired said:

I would recommend against it. There is a code of conduct associated with Life Models who pose unclothed for drawing classes, and I imagine your instructor is familiar with it and would have it front of mind. The purpose of engaging a Life Model is not to indulge sexual fantasies or to feel arousal or titillation, but to have the opportunity to focus on the work with the benefit of the actual human form close to hand, conveniently posed. Your instructor would most likely indicate the best way for you to participate in a regularly arranged group drawing session, if you do not already attend them (it is unclear from your post whether you are drawing other men who are posing).

Further, most academic institutions have standard prohibitions against any sort of contact between an instructor and a student under his or her instruction that is, or could be perceived as, romantic or sexual in nature. Your instructor would almost certainly (and absolutely should) decline for this reason.

I understand the desire to express your feelings when you see him in art - many of the world’s great works are the result of an artist’s overflowing passion toward an object of desire.

But in this case…no.

Have you thought about getting a big mirror…?

I guess you are right. I woudn't ask him to undress though, that would be too much. I was thinking about a portrait actually. When it comes to the sexual part, I don't agree. It's not a fantasy. It's a desire. That could work as the fuel behind a work of art as it has always worked.

I didn't catch the mirror part, what do you mean?

I would like to have someone work as my model, but I'm not sure how this can be done. I've tried photos from the web but I need something three dimensional as the models we use in our classes. But I wanna be me the one who will chose the position and surroundings. But I think it would be too cringe to ask someone that. And I'd like a volunteer for that.

1 hour ago, Gingerguy said:

When it comes to the sexual part, I don't agree. It's not a fantasy. It's a desire. That could work as the fuel behind a work of art as it has always worked.

I didn't catch the mirror part, what do you mean?

I realize that can work, which is why I said many of the world’s great works are the result of artists’ passion for an object of desire. What I was telling you was that in this circumstance it would be inadvisable. Plus, as you are still an artist-in-training, your instructor is likely to advise you to put your focus on perfecting your craft rather than on expression. Nobody actually gets passionate about a bowl of fruit, but student artists are tasked with producing still lifes from fruit ad nauseam.

The mirror would be for self-portraiture, perhaps the most challenging form.

Years ago I met a guy at Slammer LA who asked to draw me. I reluctantly said sure and regrettably had to sit (near the lockers and TV) for a half hour while he sketched me. This was during primetime Friday night while the dark rooms were filling up fast.