Syphilis and Barebacking

• Moderators

Only time will do that.

The RPR test measures antibodies to a specific type of proteins your body makes, which are released when the syphilis bacterium damages body cells and then the body mounts an immune response to its own protein. Like any type of immunity, the antibodies can remain in your blood for quite some time, and the immune system can even keep producing them (some people do, some people don't).

The way medical testing handles repeat cases of syphilis is that the number after you've been treated is taken as a baseline, and an increase of fourfold from that baseline indicates reinfection. It's very much not ideal (I had to deal with this recently, and it's still not entirely clear whether I've contracted it again or it's a residual number - they changed the testing protocol on me and I literally cannot tell from the results).

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

Only time will do that.

The RPR test measures antibodies to a specific type of proteins your body makes, which are released when the syphilis bacterium damages body cells and then the body mounts an immune response to its own protein. Like any type of immunity, the antibodies can remain in your blood for quite some time, and the immune system can even keep producing them (some people do, some people don't).

The way medical testing handles repeat cases of syphilis is that the number after you've been treated is taken as a baseline, and an increase of fourfold from that baseline indicates reinfection. It's very much not ideal (I had to deal with this recently, and it's still not entirely clear whether I've contracted it again or it's a residual number - they changed the testing protocol on me and I literally cannot tell from the results).

aye, ive had it in the past (about 12 years ago) and my local clinic likes to test the blood of any patient who has previously had syph every three months. like the guy who started this thread my number was too high once (i always forget the 'ideal' count,even though I've had it explained many times) , but anyway, that one time about five years ago it was too high i just had another dose of penicilin and it came down again. not had any issues since.

yeah i can't tell from the results myself either, but i go the clinic regular and they keep on top of it, i seem to recall the figure 800 in my head? but i duno what scale that is or what. they rarely explain and when they do explain, after i ask, they brush it off and just skim over the details, making it hard to understand haha. i did one time ask for my baseline number, written down, just in case i ever get tested by a different clinic in the future and they think ive testd positive for syphilis when i ain't, but my clinic said that if that ever happens i can just get them to ring them up and they'll give them my stats over the phone.

Edited by Nay80
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Nay80 said:

(i always forget the 'ideal' count,even though I've had it explained many times)
 i seem to recall the figure 800 in my head? but i duno what scale that is or what.

The ideal is "zero" (which they typically report as "non-reactive") but not everyone can get back down to that. Depends on how much of an immune response their individual body has created. Hence the need for a baseline if you've ever been exposed before.

The way the scale works is actually really simple: They test your blood serum against some stuff (an extract of ox heart, no lie) that causes a visible reaction if there's an immune response in it (that has been caused by damage to the body from syphilis or a number of other organisms). If so, that's "reactive". Then they dilute the serum and test it again and see if it still reacts. The maximum amount they can dilute it by and still see a reaction is the "titer" that they report on the test. Obviously, the more antibodies you body is making, the more they can dilute it and get a reaction, so the higher the number.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2