Continuing an existing story (by a different author)

• Moderators

If you are considering doing this, here is how (and how NOT!) to do it, per your moderators:

@drscorpio's take on it:

On 5/28/2023 at 10:19 PM, drscorpio said:

Moderator's Note: If the author of the story is still posting here regularly, please respect their rights to their story and their characters and leave it alone.

If the author has been gone for a while or gives you permission, you can post your own continuation in a new thread. Say if the story were called "That Chaser Charlie," you should post "That Chaser Charlie - A Continuation by Knightfalconer." You can post a link at the end of the old story to direct people to your new thread. If you aren't sure how to do the link, I will be happy to help. 

My take on it:  

On 10/18/2023 at 12:06 PM, chargedodger said:

I would like to write additional chapters to this story but am apprehensive about stepping on someone elses work.Would it be okay to add to it?

On 10/18/2023 at 1:02 PM, viking8x6 said:

If the original author is still active on the site (which this one is), you clearly should ask him that!

Regardless of whether he is or isn't (still active), the right way to do this is to create your own new story topic and start your continuation with a short intro that references the original piece and author.

This is a duplicate of a post in the main fiction forum. Please post any comments there:

https://breeding.zone/topic/82445-continuing-an-existing-story-of-which-you-are-not-the-original-author/

• Thanks 1

• viking8x6 pinned and locked this topic