Mpox Increasing Again in Florida?

So, I check the Florida Dept of Health’s website periodically just to keep an awareness of the IDs currently being reported (call it being an informed cumdump). I’ve noticed recently that cases of MPox in Orange County, FL (where I live, and where Orlando is located) have been increasing over the past few months. During most months in 2023 there were one or two reported cases each month (with several months reporting zero), but there were 7 reported cases in December, and one so far in the first few days of 2024.

Now, the overall raw numbers still are low—of the 317 total cases of reported MPox in Orange County, 299 of those occurred during the larger outbreak in 2022. Still, from a statistical standpoint the uptick in December seems significant—of total reported cases in 2023, nearly 42% of them occurred during the month of December.

I guess I don’t really have a point I’m trying to make, but just something I noticed and thought I’d mention it to my fellow barebackers.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jandrosgape said:

Get vaccinated, why suffer through mpox in your rectum or throat?

Agreed—and I am. However, there have also been breakthrough cases plus the constant possibility of viruses mutating and evading existing vaccines. I’m vaccinated for COVID as well (5x over with the original series + boosters) but I still try to avoid exposing myself during outbreaks.

I’m not saying that 7 cases in Orange County, FL suggests a bigger issue—I’m just pointing out there appears to be somewhat of an uptick here

You can still get Mpox with the two dose vaccine. It will reduce the symptoms. 

It's is smart to be aware of how these things run through our communities.

One thing to look at is was there any larger event in December that would have brought people to town. That's typically when we see a spike here.