Getting on Prep after 20 plus years of barebacking

DBan

I made a decision this last week to get on prep after 20 plus years of fun but risky sex. I am still in pretty good health for 68 years old. I came to the decision after reading some of the comments on this site about the side effects, cost of meds, and having to take it for the rest of my life. I don't know how it will affect my thoughts, while being a cum slut  on a bench taking cock after cock. There was something always exciting about maybe taking a poz load and getting charged which will not happen now. But I do think not getting HIV will out weigh the other thoughts.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for sharing! I’m 65 and have been bottoming mostly bareback for 43 years. I haven’t been active in awhile, but I want to start taking loads again, so I’ve been considering PrEP. 
The last time I looked into it, about 5 or 6 years ago, my insurance brought the cost down to $400 a month, which is too much. I hope it’s less expensive now. 

It doesn't cost anything, my supplemental insurance picks up the cost, I think all insurance has to cover the drug, at least in generic form.

18 hours ago, DBan said:

It doesn't cost anything, my supplemental insurance picks up the cost, I think all insurance has to cover the drug, at least in generic form.

Yes, and no.

Broadly speaking, there is a mandate by the federal government that insurers (both individual and group plans) must cover PrEP as a preventative service under the ACA. But....

First, there's a challenge ongoing in federal court to the preventative services rules. The trial court ruled that the structure of the Preventative Services Task Force (which is somewhat insulated from political pressure) is unconstitutional, because generally speaking, all executive branch agencies must be accountable to the executive (ie the president). The DHHS Secretary is appointed by the president (which is fine), but since the Secretary does not have control over the PSTF - he doesn't have the power to approve or deny its recommendations - then that board has no valid power. The case is on appeal at the notoriously conservative US Fifth Circuit, which has had a stay in place over the trial court's decision for more than a year now; the three judges hearing the case include two Trump appointees, which does not bode well for the government. On the other hand, these two judges (and the trial court judge) are frequently on the receiving end of slap-downs from the Supreme Court for overreaching (and when THIS Supreme Court overturns a conservative court's decision, you know the decision was unsound). 

Second: Medicare Part D plans are not covered by the Affordable Care Act, so anyone on Medicare (which is most everyone over 65) may well find PrEP isn't covered at all, or with a high copay. That said, there are copay assistance programs available from the drug manufacturer, and there are often state programs designed to cover either PrEP or HIV treatment for those who lack insurance, so that may be an avenue to get covered.

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to add for those in the US… check out GoodRx for the generic version of Truvada. In my area, it can be found between $18-$28 for 30 days in some of the grocery store and chain pharmacies using the card/coupon which is free. 

Edited by badjujuboy
  • Upvote 2