Breeding Zone is now SSL encrypted!

rawTOP

• Administrators

After 2/3rd of you said you really wanted SSL encryption, I've implemented it. It's not an option - everyone now has to go through SSL.

What this means is that what you read and what you type is now encrypted in transit. If you're on a public network, people can't snoop and see what you're reading/posting. If you go through a firewall (like a corporate firewall), and that firewall observes normal privacy standards (corporate firewalls may not), then the firewall will not know the nature of what you're reading/posting.

So basically this is a big step forward to make sure people don't know you're a big 'ol perv :)

I'm still cleaning up issues with the implementation. I could use your help - if you see any problems, please let me know. But first, reload the page to make sure it's not a caching issue.

Essentially you should see a lock symbol somewhere in our browser window (depends on the browser you use). That lock symbol should not look broken - if it does, I need to know the particulars. Or if it's missing, that's a problem too...

• Administrators

We've found one issue... Not sure how to deal with it... People who have put in their Skype IDs (and possibly other IM chat client IDs). When the page displays their name, etc. it shows whether they're online on those services. Those service icons don't come from secure servers so the page isn't considered 100% secure and you'll get no lock icon or a broken lock icon.

This does not affect the secure nature of the text on the page - only whether you see a proper lock icon.

I'll either need to figure out the ssl equivalents for those IM service icons, or disable the feature, or we'll just have to live with the broken lock icons. If you have thoughts one way or another, let me know. I'm thinking I'll just disable the feature that tells you if someone is online, etc.

• Administrators
I can't access the blog on my iPhone 4s using ForumRunner. Anyone else having problems?

I've updated the forum URL with Forum Runner. I'm not sure yet what effect that will have. You may need to delete the old Breeding Zone and set up the new one in Forum Runner. Because the URL changed they may treat it as a new forum - but I hope not.