RIP BNSkin

spike-the-cat

• Administrators
The commentary on this site is as good as it is DESPITE the site architecture. Whatever system they were using, the profile and forums sections--and the ways they interconnected and led the user weaving back and forth between them--was well-conceived. Other parts of the site (party-planning, video sharing) were substandard.

This site is based on vBulletin - by far the best off-the-shelf forum site out there. Nearly all the really big boards (that don't have custom written software) use vBulletin.

One of the features you may not be aware of is that there's a little icon that looks like two down arrows just before the title of unread threads. If you click on it you'll be taken to the first message in the thread since you last read the thread. IMHO, that's FAR superior to the way BNSkin worked where you read everything in reverse order.

There's a lot of little features like that which make using vBulletin-based sites a lot easier - but you need to learn the interface. Luckily you learn it on one board and it works on many boards.

• 2 weeks later...

BNSkin was a great site. Several years ago it was by far the best site on the net as far as I was concerned. I loved all the interactions between men from various parts of the world in the forums. Sadly it started to go downhill a few years ago and has now gone for good.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I joined BNSkin like eight years ago. Only hooked up with three guys from there, all three at Midtowne Spa in Houston. All three were lotsa fun too.

I really enjoyed many parts of the site, and was sad to see it go. My profile there made it up to Number 14 most popular profile. Ah, fame is fleeting lol

Whoever learns anything about it, please continue to update us. I know maintaining a site like that HAS to be money and labor intensive, I have plenty of time, but zero cash. Surely ONE of us out there could resurrect it if its possible...

Jimmy

Yeah, RIP. Joined it so long ago, and got to know it through its various phases of glory and misery: but still used to love it. And a plus for the guys in there - got some good/nasty encounters, most of them tourists.

Tried to get in touch with Alan via my old contacts, but no reply. On https://twitter.com/BNSkin his latest post is of May 18, and both his sites http://greysoftmedia.com/ and BNSkin result dead.

His Linkedin http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alan-grey/11/aa9/89 is still there - but for what it's worth...

Ok then: BNSkin had been a great site: recently had become just a pale shade of what it used to be. So much the better if now it's over - so many other things have changed, too. Wish Alan all the BBest for him, whatever it may be.

• 1 year later...