Can a Hiv+ long-term non-progressor still infect?

I have researched all over the internet on this subject and can't find any information related to this question. I would assume that they still can infect because they have measurable virus copies in their blood, but have genetics that keep it in check. I realize a lot of genetics come into play on why they are resistant. I had a guy tell me that he is a non-progressor and that if he passed his virus onto me that I'd be lucky to get his, which is weak and why he is a non-progressor. I just don't think it works that way. He just has something in his genetics that is allowing him to resist the virus. I think if he infected me, my body, with different genetics could not resist it the way his is. Does anyone have any insight on this question? Thanks.

As I understand it, you are correct. It is his genetics, not his strain of the virus that makes him not progress. He may be confused by drug resisitance theories. Drug resistance would pass to a new person, as it is the strain that is drug resistant, not the man. That is not the same thing, and not a good thing.

I would assume that they still can infect because they have measurable virus copies in their blood, but have genetics that keep it in check.

That is correct. One addendum: Some long-term-nonprogressors' (elite controllers, AFAIK somewhere around 10% of all long-term nonprogressors) immune systems supresse the virus so very well that they for prolonged periods of time have (close to) undetectable viral loads. It can be assumed that - just like successful antiretroviral therapy - these guys carry hardly any risk of infecting others.

The other 90% of long-term-nonprogressors also have significantly reduced viral loads compared to other patients. With around 1500 HIV copies or so they are SOMEWHAT less infectious than normal patients who are not on meds and at the same time in the course of the disease have much higher viral loads. However, unlike those few elite controllers, they can still pass it on.

http://www.aidsmap.com/HIV-non-progressor-status-established-soon-after-infection/page/1432975/