Bio-Hazard Tattoo

Bugchasersimon

Just had mine done a couple of hours ago - perfectly plain, all black, at the base of my neck (might as well use the fat of the buffalo hump for something!). My bloody camera wouldn't work, so the receptionist took a photo with her phone which they promised to send to me tomorrow. First tattoo I've had in twenty years - I still get off on the colour gun!

Back from the PositivelyUK conference in London where those who got to see it were amazed at the quality of the work (Nu Tatu in Neath) and at the fact that it's remaining perfectly smooth days later. I spoke to my mate from Gay Switchboard and he seems happy to use a photo of it as the poster for the training event I'm doing in November about the whys and wherefores of raw sex. I just think it's funny that they have to go 200 miles to find someone prepared to be open (as it were) about barebacking when we know that half of London's gay men are up the other half's asses without a rubber in sight!

Guest JizzDumpWI

Sad but true bearbandit... Nearly 30 years of hype to rubber up has had its effect. Condoms were never sexy; but there was a huge campaign about attempting to make them that. I've come across some condom nazi's, but by and large most seem to prefer bare. And doesn't that make sense? Sex was never about putting barriers between the people engaged. That's why the pill took off so strongly in the early 60's.

Sex has always been about "impregnating"; that is our biological imperative. The pill reduces pregnancies. PrEP reduces HIV. Science will, I think, continue to pursue ways to keep sex bare while reducing consequences for those who desire that.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey men - I am thinking very seriously about going for it and getting a bio tat-- couple of things tho-- what would the heal time be- I will be doing MAL in 17 days, and I don't want to be scabbed up or worse- out of service- for the weekend . My idea is to get the tat below the jockstrap line, but above my ass hole- so the tail bone would be near- is this going to be a pain issue over, say, getting the tat on my ass cheek?

The idea I had, and cannot make Windows Paint cooperate and reproduce worth a crap ( if you can , would love a clean copy ) is a triangle in red ( the universal caution symbol so I have have heard) with a black ink bio haz tat in the core- my very bad attempt to create it has been wretched- but it sort of looks like this :

post-2560-140864350495_thumb.png

Since I have pondered this for years, and since many more of you have experience- please shoot me back any thoughts or suggestions ( yeah, even changing the design works for me) Once I do this ,I do not intend to try to erase it with lasers due to an "oops" should have thought of that issue

If you're scabbed up at all, the tattoo artist is a hack. The only reason that scabs happen is if the guy overworks the tattoo and damages the skin terribly. I have over 100 hours of work covering about 30% of my body, and had one tiny scab on the inside of my left wrist once, about 2mm by 5mm. That's all, and that's how it should be.

But--you're cutting it too close for MAL. You're going to have to find a good artist and schedule an appointment; the good ones are busy. A tattoo has to heal like any other scrape/road rash/brush burn. You'll need about 3 days for any bleeding or exudate to stop (using A&D ointment during that time), then another week to 10 days for real healing (using a good lotion). During that time, a fine layer of skin will peel off--like a sun burn peeling. People heal at different rates.

Don't rush it. Take your time, research good artists, get it done right--you'll only get one shot at it, and it's permanent.

Will it hurt? Yup. Any time you tattoo thin skin over a bone, it hurts more (I remember the workout I got over my collar bones).

Allergies to pigments are very rare, and there are lots of kinds of red pigments, so I wouldn't worry about that. YMMV

I don't know if the guy is still working - I doubt it as we're talking twenty odd years ago - but I had a Celtic band done by a guy in Portobello Road in London. It was the only tattoo I've ever had where I had to call a break (two in fact) because of the pain, when normally I quite get off on the experience. It scabbed up, despite me using my usual routine to keep it clean and moisturised. It got to the point where I could carry anything heavy in my right hand because it cracked the scabs, and riding the bike was out of the question. I've got loads of colour dropout from where the scabs eventually came away.

In contrast, I had my biohazard done a couple of weeks before the PositivelyUK conference, took care of it as instructed (which is a bit difficult when it's on your back and you don't have a friendly hand), and it was much admired after only two weeks.

And as Tattpig says, going over bone is painful: one of my dragons is close to my wrist and I had wasting syndrome at the time it was done. I could feel the vibrations of the gun echo through the bones of my arm. Not pleasant. Unless you're dead set on positioning, I'd go for somewhere with a bit of padding behind it...

Hey men - thanks to all of you for the input. Fillmyhole referred me to a guy here in Ft Lauderdale , went to the shop yesterday and checked it out- nice, and a really helpful man at the front counter- the artist I was looking for was out tending to his fish, but the other guy was very helpful, and he suggested holding off until after MAL so there would be less of a chance of any infection or irritation. Tattpig, your info is reassuring- I really do not want to be a walking scab or in great discomfort from the tat- hell- save that for the dungeon and sex ! LOL Now, just to get to it and have it done-after my slut fest at MAL is past ! Thank you all for the feed back- and still up for any design modifications or suggestions- like Tattpig pointed out- this is a one shot deal ( esp since I abhor needles !!)