Hepatitis C who has some more infomation on transmission

This is one thing that has always worried me, simply because it seems like the jury is still out on how sexually transmittable it is. I know about the usual risk factors including injection drug use, and fisting, but who has some more insight on this.

You've probably read the official CDC FAQ on Hepatitis C (http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cfaq.htm#) - but the current best thought is that while it's possible, it's likely a low chance of acquiring it from sexual relations:

Can Hepatitis C be spread through sexual contact?

Yes, but the risk of transmission from sexual contact is believed to be low. The risk increases for those who have multiple sex partners, have a sexually transmitted disease, engage in rough sex, or are infected with HIV. More research is needed to better understand how and when Hepatitis C can be spread through sexual contact.

Not a very satisfying answer, for sure, but that's the state of the science on it.

To the best of my knowledge: The risk when having "normal" bareback sex (e.g. using lube for anal penetration, no fisting or oversized toys, slowly working up to anal penetration, so the ass is relaxed etc....) is indeed very low.

However, one should avoid blood. So no cruel condom, being careful with rough sex and so forth. Also keep in mind that group settings and anonymous situations can be risky. Imagine a big bareback party, where a bug chaser comes with a toothbrushed asshole. If he has HepC, the tops who fuck him will also most likely fuck a few drops of his blood into other other asses.

On the other hand, HepC, if caught early is usually very treatable, so if you are worried, make sure to get tested regularly. I know guys who had it two or three times over the last years. Sure, treatment was a b*tch, they had problems with depression and the Hepatitis treament fucked up their digestive system, but after a few weeks months they were cured.

• 2 weeks later...

Many, perhaps even most, of the guys on breedingzone are into rough sex and/or multiple partners. Thus we are indeed at high risk for contracting Hep C sexually. My personal opinion is that many healthcare providers, even many with substantial experience treating gays, underestimate the number of their patients who are at risk for sexual transmission of this disease.

Although there are some promising new medications in clinical trials, at present Hep C is NOT very easy to treat, and in HIV patients the cure rate with the current interferon-based regimens (ribavarin by mouth, plus weekly interferon injections, sometimes with a third drug, and sometimes for up to 48 weeks) can be as low as 40-60 %. This varies by strain; some strains of Hep C are more responsive to treatment than others.

Note that interferon gives most people who take it flu-like symptoms for a couple of days. This can occur after each dose, though this adverse effect may gradually decrease over the many weeks of therapy. As I understand it, basically, the treatment makes you feel even sicker than before, for 2 or 3 days of every week (can any of our give more more details confirming or disputing how bad this can be?).

The two main complications of untreated Hep C are cirrhosis and liver cancer. In HIV-negative patients, it can take decades for cirrhosis to reach life-threatening stages. In HIV- positive patients, advanced cirrhosis can develop much more quickly, sometimes within only a few years.

Successful treatment will probably arrest the progression of cirrhosis. No one knows for sure yet if successful treatment will result in decreased risk of developing liver cancer (many think it probably will decrease the risk of liver cancer, but as far as I know there's insufficient data at present - anyone know more about this?).

Thus, Hep C a real threat. The new meds should be on the market within 18 months - if they work as well as hoped, they could dramatically improve Hep C patients' lives. But until then, Hep C is bad news!

Many, perhaps even most, of the guys on breedingzone are into rough sex and/or multiple partners. Thus we are indeed at high risk for contracting Hep C sexually. My personal opinion is that many healthcare providers, even many with substantial experience treating gays, underestimate the number of their patients who are at risk for sexual transmission of this disease.

Although there are some promising new medications in clinical trials, at present Hep C is NOT very easy to treat, and in HIV patients the cure rate with the current interferon-based regimens (ribavarin by mouth, plus weekly interferon injections, sometimes with a third drug, and sometimes for up to 48 weeks) can be as low as 40-60 %. This varies by strain; some strains of Hep C are more responsive to treatment than others.

Note that interferon gives most people who take it flu-like symptoms for a couple of days. This can occur after each dose, though this adverse effect may gradually decrease over the many weeks of therapy. As I understand it, basically, the treatment makes you feel even sicker than before, for 2 or 3 days of every week (can any of our give more more details confirming or disputing how bad this can be?).

The two main complications of untreated Hep C are cirrhosis and liver cancer. In HIV-negative patients, it can take decades for cirrhosis to reach life-threatening stages. In HIV- positive patients, advanced cirrhosis can develop much more quickly, sometimes within only a few years.

Successful treatment will probably arrest the progression of cirrhosis. No one knows for sure yet if successful treatment will result in decreased risk of developing liver cancer (many think it probably will decrease the risk of liver cancer, but as far as I know there's insufficient data at present - anyone know more about this?).

Thus, Hep C a real threat. The new meds should be on the market within 18 months - if they work as well as hoped, they could dramatically improve Hep C patients' lives. But until then, Hep C is bad news!

Major bad news but thanks. I like being informed.

My late partner took interferon and then interleukin 2 (a related drug) as immune modulators in the hope of building up his immune system to cope with HIV related MAI (mycobacterium avium intracellurare). Firstly, I've never known anyone get through more than two years with MAI. Secondly, I've never seen a drug make anyone as ill as interferon or interleukin 2and I've been around HIV since the year dot). Ultimately I have to believe that interleukin 2 was the cause of John's death by way of multiple organ failure. His treatment regime was two sub-cutaneous injections per day for five days then a two week lay off. Thankfully, the nurses taught me how to inject. Each injection was "do you you want this: you can stop any time you want."

The two drugs were used to counter HIV disease and hopefully boost his immune system. I don't know about their use in managing hep C other than that it's a pretty rough ride. It's a sign of the times that the UK's main HIV service provider has taken pretty much all sexually transmitted infections under its wing. Hep C is transmissable through rough sex: check out pretty much any UK based site (start at www.tht.org.uk) . I was talking to my local THT community services worker (alright he was holding my hand through an unexpected clinic visit) and he reckoned that there were about 5 times as any people with hep C as there were with HIV in the UK. The virus is far stronger and much more infectious than HIV.

Even on salvage therapy, neither I nor my doctor are concerned about superinfection with HIV (it happened about once a year globally). We're both concerned about the possibility of my getting hep C... The screaming irony is that two different drug companies have come up with drugs that together provide a 100% cure for hep C, and neither will release their drug because they reckon the other will make money off it... <disgusted shrug>

Even on salvage therapy, neither I nor my doctor are concerned about superinfection with HIV (it happened about once a year globally). We're both concerned about the possibility of my getting hep C... The screaming irony is that two different drug companies have come up with drugs that together provide a 100% cure for hep C, and neither will release their drug because they reckon the other will make money off it... <disgusted shrug>

Somehow I really doubt this is the case. All versions of hepatitis are relatively hard to treat, and if there was any drug out there that would provide a cure I am certain governments would be petitioning for its use.

Also there was one other poster who said that Hep c is relatively easy to treat, and I know for a fact that is false. There are few drugs for it, and those drugs are not all that effective. I have friends who work in medicine doing drug trials, and I can assure you, its is NOT easy to get a drug to market, even lifesaving ones.

Anyway the information given so far has been good, keep it coming.