[Breeder] Pride

TheBreeder

To see Breeder's original blog post click here

It’s Pride here in New York today.

Every year from certain quarters—online and in real life—I listen to gay men grouse about this annual celebration. I’ve written before about how they point at photos of drag queens and shirtless twinks with outrageous hair and complain, “Why should I be proud of that?”

Maybe you’re not proud of flamboyance. Be proud of this: be proud (if you can) that you live in a society in which you’re not arrested simply for showing up to a Pride parade, and that our fierce feminine brothers can express themselves freely without being arrested for ‘gay propaganda.’

Be proud you live in a country that allows gay demonstrations of all stripes, from the simple and unorganized to the vast and corporate sponsored—because there are many in which such a thing would be squelched and the participants incarcerated, if not killed.

Be proud you live in a country in which being gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgendered or what-have-you is now legal. It wasn’t always.

If you live in a country or a state in which marriage equality has been established, be proud of that. If you don’t, be proud that year by year, state by state, the movement is coming your way.

Be proud that DOMA was defanged. Be proud that California is once again allowing same-sex marriages. In other words, even as you stay aware that there’s much left to do, be proud of the progress that we have made and that we will continue to make.

And maybe even most of all, be proud of the fact that in spite of setbacks, in spite of selfishness and fear and the irrational hate of others, we have made progress—and will continue to do so.

Be proud of yourself. No matter whom you love, you’re part of a rich and beautiful tapestry of humanity. And that is worth celebrating.

More...

Well put, TheBreeder. I'm among the guys who doesn't participate in the Gay Pride celebrations or the other gay-related street fairs that abound in Philadelphia, but I'm glad such activities are around, if only because, in some measure, they give the LGBT community the courage to fight for my political and social rights.

It doesn't take a parade to be proud, Hotload. I know you know it, too.

Well put, TheBreeder. I'm among the guys who doesn't participate in the Gay Pride celebrations or the other gay-related street fairs that abound in Philadelphia, but I'm glad such activities are around, if only because, in some measure, they give the LGBT community the courage to fight for my political and social rights.

Guest JizzDumpWI
And I'm so used to guys saying "It's so big!" :)

Oh shoot, that li'l ole thing??? LOL Prove it buddy... Come here and spend a weekend...

What's now known as Pride was originally started to commemorate the "Stonewall Uprising"...when Leather Studs, Drag Queens and QUEERS of all stripes got together and fought the NYPD. The battles of DOMA and Prop 8 have been won, but the war is far from over and if we think of Pride as a daily part of our lives, instead of an annual event, victory will be ours.

So true, EQP. It's been working so far—but we've got a lot left to do.

What's now known as Pride was originally started to commemorate the "Stonewall Uprising"...when Leather Studs, Drag Queens and QUEERS of all stripes got together and fought the NYPD. The battles of DOMA and Prop 8 have been won, but the war is far from over and if we think of Pride as a daily part of our lives, instead of an annual event, victory will be ours.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.