Back on the market, losing weight

eagerben

For the past 8 months I was in a relationship which just ended. Stayed monogamous for the duration of it but in the end I just wanted more sex then my partner and that didn't work out. No bad breakup, it ended.

But during the time we were together I put on a lot of weight for the first time in my life, almost 30kg.

I'm planning to start swimming for three nights a week to lose some weight, and start eat healthier. Still have to research what real healthy food is, but that's the plan at least.

Do any of you guys have experienced this type of situation before, and got any tips?

I really want to go back to my old weight as quickly as possible (1m93, 85kg)

Try a low carb diabetic diet and if you're exercising as well, increase the protein, reducing the rest equally. I tend to have my main meal of the day as literally just meat, with a salad snackbowl to graze on. My little argument with tenofovir did a lot of internal damage and it's only now that I'm preparing to get back to my old routine. I'm planning not so much on losing weight as moving it around a bit, losing fat, gaining muscle mass. I reckon the best test of whether you're doing well is when women friends who know you're gay ask what you've been doing and can you have a word with their husbands ;)

For the past 8 months I was in a relationship which just ended. Stayed monogamous for the duration of it but in the end I just wanted more sex then my partner and that didn't work out. No bad breakup, it ended.

But during the time we were together I put on a lot of weight for the first time in my life, almost 30kg.

I'm planning to start swimming for three nights a week to lose some weight, and start eat healthier. Still have to research what real healthy food is, but that's the plan at least.

Do any of you guys have experienced this type of situation before, and got any tips?

I really want to go back to my old weight as quickly as possible (1m93, 85kg)

I've been on weight watchers for 4 weeks and I've lost 16 pounds. It is a healthy way to lose weight because you're eating real food instead of some chemical garbage that is high in sodium.

• Administrators

30kg in 8 months? Damn! I packed on about that much - but over a much longer time. I managed to lose about half of it last year "accidentally" - wasn't really trying - it just happened.

My suggestions - don't eat unless you're hungry. I found myself eating because my boyfriend made a meal. Wrong. If you're not hungry, don't eat. As a corollary to that, half way through a meal start asking yourself if you really need the rest of the meal. Chances are you'll at least say "not all of it". It's OK to leave food on your plate (despite what your parents told you).

Along those lines a decent diet is to have two 500 calorie days each week. I don't actually do calorie counting but I find there are naturally 2 or 3 days a week when I'm just not all that hungry. I'll snack (on healthy-ish stuff). That will lower your appetite on the days when you eat more since your stomach will shrink and you'll feel full faster.

Be active is my other piece of advice. Get out and walk or run or climb stairs, or go to the gym. Do whatever activity works for you - just make sure you don't sit at home on the couch (too much).

Lot's of good tips, guys.

Here is what works for me.

No white flour (better yet no wheat at all) or white sugar, prepare your own meals with fresh ingredients (restaurant meals can be loaded with salt, etc.) and include as many vegetables as you can bare (the more color on your plate the healthier the meal), drink lots of water with lemon to stimulate your liver, and if you drink coffee take it black ( similar to lemon water this stimulates the liver). If you are eating away from home, look at the menu and make a "healthier" choice for your meal. Alcohol can slow metabolism so it is not really your friend if you are trying to get your weight down. Fiber as a supplement or oatmeal is good for elimination and keeping your clean out easier if you are consuming a lot of fruits and vegetables.

Thanks for the tips guy. I've started changing my diet a bit, I'm eating one bowl of porridge in the morning as a slow burning energy supply. I've cut most of the carbs from my lunch and supper. Fruit, salad and meat stay on the menu. And some exercise. The lemon thing sounds like something i will try too. And we'll see where it goes from there.

I had the same as rawTOP, eat because the food is there. And the always finish your plate thing was also true.