Cost of PrEP to you - what you'd be willing to pay

PhoenixGeoff

My BCBS is $40.00 for a 90 day supply, but I have to go through mail order and can't do the brick and mortar store otherwise it pays 70 percent of the retail and I'd pay somewhere around $480 a month. It makes sense because insurance requires a test ever 90 days. I also have a gay doctor and have a standing order for my labs so I can walk in any time. As long as they are ok, he automatically refills.

If you have insurance and are considering going on PrEP, do your homework and call your provider to see about the best way to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received today a letter from my insurance saying:

"... your prescription for Truvada had been approved for coverage up to the plan's supply limit for this medication. This medication is approved for coverage until 03/10/2015, or until coverage for the medication is no longer available under the benefit plan or the medication becomes subject to a pharmacy benefit coverage requirement, such as supply limits or notification, whichever occurs first."

I don't really understand? What's going to happen after 3/10/15? I won't be covered any more? Will I be covered if the doctor ask again?

The monthly cost of Prep with doctor visits and lab work is much more than what the plan costs.