New 5 Day HIV Test

My Dr told me that there is a new blood test for HIV that can tell within 5 days if you have been infected.

Anyone know more about this or have information?

There have always been several types of test. The most common type is antibody testing, namely ELISA or western blot testing. Both have the downside that your boy needs to develop antibodies for these to work, and that can take months to happen.

The second type of testing is NAT or nucleic acid testing. In effect this is a viral load test done on someone of an unknown HIV status. The upside of this test is that it is very accurate, and it also shortens the window period down to about 20 days. The downside to this test is that it is quite expensive. Also there is no "quick" version of this test, as labs have to be sent out.

The clinic I go to does a rapid blood based antibody test with all HIV testing, and also has an option for NAT testing where you will hear back in 5 days, letting you know if you can reduce your window period to the 20 days prior.

There is NO test right now that will let you know within 5 days of exposure if you are HIV positive, and I am doubtful there will be anytime soon, The virus still has to take hold and replicate in the person, and that take time. The most common sign people will have within 2 weeks after exposure is seroconversion or "fuck flu" where many people get quite sick.

Guest JizzDumpWI

There is atest my clinic offers that detects exposure in the 11- 45 day window... Next time I am there I will get the actual name of that test. Exposure is not necessarily infection although mostly can be construed as such.

• Administrators

I read something recently that's there's a new rapid test that looks for antigens rather than antibodies so it can detect infection much more quickly. It's currently going through FDA approvals.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest JizzDumpWI
Just to update as promised. I have seroconverted and am now HIV+ for the first time in my life. I tested Negative 3 months ago.

Congrats. I'm pretty sure you can only poz up once... ;)

• 3 weeks later...