What Was Your Family's Religion?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Family's Religion?

• Protestant - Born Again Christian
    • Protestant - Other
    • Roman Catholic
    • Other Christian
    • Jewish
    • Other Organized Religion (Muslim, Buddist, Hindu, etc.)
    • "Spiritual", but not part of an organized religion
    • Atheist / Agnostic / Deist

• Administrators

Just curious - what religion you guys were brought up as... Not what you are now - but what you're parents practiced and taught you to be as a kid.

Personally I was brought up as a mix of evangelical and fundamentalists Christian. It was so "out there" that it was actually really easy to reject when I finally thought things through in college.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Family was Roman Catholic (though non-practising) , and went through their school system. Although there were some rumours and innuendo, they never did anything to me. I just left because of fundamental differences of opinion, and I considered them hypocritical.

My father was Roman Catholic and my mother is Lutheran, which ment for us kids to be rasied Roman Catholic. I learned to play the organ and (living in a Lutheran dominated area) started working for the Lutherans on sundays.

Some 15 years ago I finally left the Catholics and joined the Lutherans after the pope once again said something very stupid against homosexuals.

Edited by Hotload84

• 6 months later...

Raised Catholic and still am, but I am a "cafeteria" Catholic in that I choose the doctrines that I can rationally believe. Obviously, I am not buying the church's teachings on sex in general, and homosexuality in particular.

I was raised Jewish. it was never forced upon me and I was a teenager just past my bar mitzvah when I threw it out the window and proclaimed myself an atheist. I have more an issue with zionists than I do Jews, but all in all I have disdain for the community and the faith, and have come to learn much of the stereotypes are very true although its depends on the person of course.