GeoLocation WILL be coming to Breeding Zone

rawTOP

How accurate is Geolocation on http://html5demos.com/geo on your desktop computer?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. How accurate is Geolocation on http://html5demos.com/geo on your desktop computer?

• Extremely Accurate
    • Reasonably Close
    • Not Very Close
    • Completely Wrong

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Just an update… I've been working on coding for geolocation for a few days now (big learning curve for me in a number of different ways). I hope to have something working as a very rough alpha early next week.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for explaining the one "completely wrong" result in the poll. You are indeed an exception.

How is satellite even possible? Isn't it a 4 second round trip for every item requested? I always heard they combined satellite with a dial-up or ISDN so you'd make your requests via the phone line (since the request is small) and then get the return files via satellite (since satellite can have massive bandwidth). The techie in me doesn't understand the physics of your internet connection :)

It depends on the specific satellite service. Some providers do use a dial up connection for your upload data. Our old service used two way satellite communication, though the bandwidth was much more limited, and the average ping test would take 1500 ms. Our new service is a high speed service, with ping tests usually at about 600 ms. Still a full satellite service, not a downlink only service. Unfortunately, that is about the only viable service we can get. Tried cellular, but it didn't work well, and cost a minor fortune every month. The joys of rural living.

I am really looking forward to having this addition to the site.

Edited by pisces bearcub
add

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
any new updates on this and hope it will be up and ready soon

Short answer 'no' - I haven't had much time lately to devote to it.

BUT, my fingers are crossed that I may have a rather major announcement in the next few days that's related to the hookup site idea.

• Administrators
Failed. But I did click on "Never share location" I hope never means NEVER. There are freaks among us...

There's nothing for you to test right now. What ever you went to is not connected to this site or any of my other sites.

But a question - do you use Grindr, or Scruff or A4A Radar, etc? If so, then you're sharing your location. The question is how is that data used? Until you know, you shouldn't be so hasty to say 'no'. Even putting your zip code into a hookup site is sharing location data…

It's different for me to use a geo location app like grindr. I don't use my real name there and I don't post extremely personal thoughts and information there. I can be anonymous. And I only use them when I travel, so no one is pin pointing my home. I copied and pasted the http://html5demos.com/geo that was part of the survey for the test. I assumed that was the intent.

You know I am a big fan of BZ and RT. I just don't want to see it become just another hook up site when it is already something very unique. And I cannot have people geo locating my home address. I live with my two kids. I just wont do it. I don't know if you have ever noticed, but I purposely only list that I am from South Florida. I don't say what city. Or even what coast. I do that for a reason.

If it is a requirement, I may make up a new profile, but I won't be as open as I am on here. Not trying to be negative here, just wanted to give my feedback and to say that BZ is something unique and special. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

There's nothing for you to test right now. What ever you went to is not connected to this site or any of my other sites.

But a question - do you use Grindr, or Scruff or A4A Radar, etc? If so, then you're sharing your location. The question is how is that data used? Until you know, you shouldn't be so hasty to say 'no'. Even putting your zip code into a hookup site is sharing location data…