Condom stats

BBSA

Very tricky question to answer.

I would imagine that even if you could get guys to tell the truth you would get clusters of anomalies.

The larger the city the more impersonal the gay scene with more darkrooms and saunas.

A larger proportion of traveling guys would boost the bareback numbers as well. Getting a little action as you pass through sounds hot.

In simple terms you will probably see an inverse correlation between condom use and population density.

Interesting problem to work through though.

Definitely. It's just that I'm curious. I mean from the guys I've been with, there's sometimes no mention of condoms. Just fuck. So bareback is considered taboo, but actually far more common. Irrespective of the area or population density.

Race doesn't seem to be a factor either.

There was just a news item in the local paper today ( Sun-Sentinel.com) reporting the incidence of gay men having unprotected sex has crept up in the last 5 years, from 47% saying they have had unprotected sex to something like 52% admitting to risky sexual actions in the latest survey. Draw whatever conclusions from it you may- the men asked were mostly in for free testing at various organizations doing HIV or STD testing. Perhaps those numbers are skewed a tad since these guys are sexually active enough to realize they need to get tested

When I was a kid, I was always fucked bareback. I never, ever saw a condom used. When I started cruising again after three years of an exclusive relationship, everybody was using condoms. I can count the exceptions, and those guys were horse-hung and really couldn't find a condom that fit. Over the past fifteen years or so, condoms have more and more become the exception, even with guys who used them before. I have had a very busy sex life in New York in all kinds of settings with tops of all races and classes, and my experience is that the only guys using condoms anymore (besides a few married men) are Mexican immigrants.

In simple terms you will probably see an inverse correlation between condom use and population density.

It ain't necessarily so: I live in the Welsh Valleys where they seem to believe that Offa's Dyke kept HIV out of Wales. Low population density and low condon usage. Safer sex is not a topic for discussion. Last year I was fucking with the guy who arranged the local sex parties. Word of this got around pretty quickly with guys not coming to the parties if I was there and expecting the guy I was seeing to have his HIV test early. No possibility, of course, that they might be the ones with HIV. They were respectable heterosexually married men who couldn't possibly get HIV no matter how many loads they got up their asses...

• 3 weeks later...

All very interesting replies. I was recently with a straight friend I've known since I was 8. We got drunk, he got horny and he had his first gay experience. He told me he didn't have a condom, and then proceeded to bareback me. No second thoughts, no questions.

This seems to be the case many times when alcohol & drugs are involved.

Further to this, I've hooked up with guys, whose profiles always say safer only, until they're about to fuck you.