anyone use the instant HIV test? what are you thought on them?

Barefootbob: I use both tests which are available at CVS on a regular basis. Typically, I get tested by the county department of health every three months. Then in between these regularly scheduled tests, I purchase the Home Access FDA approved blood test. You buy the test then provide a blood sample - match up the anonymous ticket number which is provide with the test - place the sample in a prepaid FedEx envelope and drop it off at a FedEx drop site. 24 hours later you call their 1-800 number and reference your ticket number. Then you are told whether your results are reactive (positive) or non-reactive (negative). After receiving that verbal result , you can ask them to email you a PDF electronic file of the results. I like this option. This way I always have proof of my status on hand. I do this every month in between my county test visits. So, for the first month I get county results, month two at home results, month three at home results, then back to county and I repeat the process.

Now, I have used the OralQuick FDA approved mouth swab test and like that as well however no verifiable results can be offered. On occasion, I purchase two at a time. Why? If I have a new partner then I have two at home for a quick verification. We do the test together then fuck our brains out. Many tops her will balk at this. In fact some have literally chastised me for this practice however, I am not looking to be stealthed or stealth someone. I am not looking to chase or spread an infectious disease. Despite the romanticized notion of having HIV, I work in a major teaching hospital and still see some patients with AIDS/HIV who've become drug resistant and trust me...not a pretty picture. I think the tests are worth every penny. Now, remember, the results are a reflection of that moment in time and back three months. But for me it is a good way of accepting responsibility for my health and welfare. If I can do my best to minimize health issues, I will. However, if I ever turn up positive, well, at least I have been actively participating in my health and have no one to blame for my actions and results.

Just my two cents. In the end, worth every penny for either test.

Blue... Would be more economical and better outcome for you to start PrEP.

JizzDumpWI: I have been looking into it. Currently, I am uninsured and not many in my area cover PrEP. Believe me, I am the perfect candidate and for the last few months, I have been pretty much set on it. Now, I am waiting for this healthcare debacle to calm down before I purchase insurance. But believe me, I want on it immediately.

I have seen the Home Access test at CVS, but I think it is WAY too complicated. I never bought it. Plus if I am not mistaken, it is $54.99. To have to draw your own blood, send it in a FedEx package, wait 24 hours (for me, that would be a nerve wracking 24 hours) and then have to call some number is just too much. I used to take see it in the store and think, "why the hell don't they just sell the instant tests like you get at the clinic???" Then, not long after, they made the OraQuick tests available for purchase...

I have purchased the OraQuick test and do so every 2-3 months to keep my neg status current. I think it's great and it's worth every penny. Here are MY reasons why:

1) You get instant results. No waiting, no fidgeting, no what-ifs running through your head. Instant results.

2) It saves a trip to the clinic. I know there are free clinics, but the one near me, I don't like because they love lecturing you and ask you 50 million questions I would rather not answer. Now, for me, a trip to Planned Parenthood is a $40 insurance co-pay anyway, so it's a wash cost-wise. Plus, I get a lot of waiting room anxiety when I go there. In the past, I've done testing there and when they are busy, you may have to wait 30 minutes plus after taking your sample to get your results. The longer I wait, the more anxious I get and start thinking something MUST BE wrong. None of these issues with the OraQuick test.

3) Regardless of what your result is, your status stays between you and you. People have said to me, "but what would you do if the result came back positive?" My answer is, "I'm a big boy. I mentally prepare myself in case the result is positive." I know that I would have to inform anyone I have been with in the past three months and then go to a doctor to get a confirmatory test done, and then get consultations done about meds and all that. But that initial shock, I can deal with myself. I don't have to be surrounded by 5 people asking me a million questions during a hard time.

4) You can do it any day, any time. If there is a 24 hour CVS by you where these are available, it means that you have 24-7 availability to have an HIV test done. No need to schedule out appointments or try to figure out your local clinic's crazy hours (I swear the hours of the free clinic and Planned Parenthood near me change just about every week).

5) You can keep two on hand in case you ever want to test with a partner before engaging in bareback sex. Now, I know the little booklet that comes with it says that the test should not be used as a testing measure to determine whether or not to engage in safe sex and condoms should always be used and blah blah blah, but let's face it... If you or a potential partner have any doubts or uncertainty about engaging in BB sex, this is the best tool you can use. I know there is still the window period risk, but using this test is better than nothing. I have used it with a guy who only wanted to use a condom, but I wanted his ass raw. He told me that if I could furnish recent test results, he would let me have him raw. I told him that I would do him one better and do this test right in front of him. I did and he let me fuck him raw and it was AMAZING sex.

So there you have it. I am sure other people can furnish other reasons why this test is great, but these are my reasons. Hope they help.