First day on PrEP

versgeek

Guest JizzDumpWI
Thanks to some feedback on here and discussions I've had with friends I finally went to the doctor and asked about PrEP last week. Did all the tests and everything came back good so I got on PrEP today.

I'm nervous, to be honest.

it it did seem like a big step, but you will find yourself free to fuck with anyone... No serosorting needed.

drug fairly easy to adapt to. If you find stomach feeling rough, just get some OTC omeprazole to take with your Truvada for a couple of weeks.

Guest JizzDumpWI
Who's your insurance provider? Did you find the provider easy to deal with regarding your want to be on PrEP or was it somewhat of a hassle?

I have Humana with Caremark prescription. Humana would rather support prevention than treatment. Caremark covers about 80%. Manufacturer picks up my copay. So my cost is zero.

Nice. I just saw my doctor today and going to be starting PeRP as well. He wanted to run some more blood work first so I had that done before leaving (lab is in the same building). I think my cost will only be $20 a month which isn't a big deal. The only prescription I current take is a cheap generic and costs around $30 for a 3 month supply. Medication doesn't usually cause side effects for me, so I am really looking forward to it.

Im glad to see more guys going on it. I've been on it since about July now, and it really has taken a huge worry off my back. Im also dating a guy now who is pos but undetectable, and with PrEP we are free to do whatever we want, which is good since we are both vers. :-)

FYI. I actually asked several experts about my exact situation, and they said as long as he sticks to his regime, and I stick to mine the chance of him infecting me, despite never using condoms is virtually zero.

PrEP really is a game changer.

Excellent! Great step. I think it is awesome to be proactive like this. If you are a bareback bottom, and it is likely that you would need to start on HIV meds at some point after becoming poz, it makes sense to start the meds now, and be preemptive.

I'm bareback versatile so it makes extra sense. Protecting myself protects others.

I have a Blue Shield PPO and it covered the cost of the medication minus a not that big copay. I ended up not having to pay anything, though, since Gilead has a copay assistance program which covered that, so my total out of pocket was zero.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions guys.

I'm bareback versatile so it makes extra sense. Protecting myself protects others.

I have a Blue Shield PPO and it covered the cost of the medication minus a not that big copay. I ended up not having to pay anything, though, since Gilead has a copay assistance program which covered that, so my total out of pocket was zero.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions guys.

im in exactly the same situation. Just make sure you take it everyday at the same time. a pill box helps

Any of you guys who have been on it for months experienced any issues with weight gain? I've been on and off of PrEP since April. Every time I get into a groove with it, I swear to god I start gaining weight. As I'm trying very hard to lose weight, this is the last thing I want. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if I'm being paranoid.

Truvada carries with it various GI issues, amongst them bloating, farting and weight gain, one of the reasons why obesity is becoming a problem in PwHIV now: not only has the reduction of the quantity of HIV in our guts decreased making wasting syndrome less likely, but truvada is helping us gain wait.

Constant starting/stopping of PrEP is one of the best ways of making truvada fail. Exercise is more effective and more enjoyable for weight loss that sitting mournfully over a curled lettuce leak. If you haven't got a gym nearby, a set of basic equipment doesn't cost that much (my weights, for example, cost a bit over a hundred dollars and are perfectly adequate to my needs). There are numerous videos on YouTube illustrating exercises and a basic book on exercise shouldn't cost too much.

Dietary sugar is more of a problem than fat in food, but, being diabetic, the diet version of a drink is my automatic choice and avoiding high fat foods makes sense too, as does going for the wholemeal option in bread, rice etc (the high fibre makes cleaning your hole out easier too).

Any of you guys who have been on it for months experienced any issues with weight gain? I've been on and off of PrEP since April. Every time I get into a groove with it, I swear to god I start gaining weight. As I'm trying very hard to lose weight, this is the last thing I want. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if I'm being paranoid.

NOPE, and IIRC its not a known side effect for neg people using PrEP (but is for poz people using truvada). so I bet its a psychosomatic reaction to something else going on in your life. I would stay on the PrEP as long as your numbers are good. In terms of losing weight, keep on your plan, and increase your exercise rate if you are having issues. It not uncommon for people on diet plans to lose a lot at first, then have the rate drop dramatically or gain slightly. You have to keep at it and in many cases increase your amount of exercise as you become more fit.

Same here. Totally versatile, but not really wanting to get pozzed, but there are so many fucking hot poz tops out there that I cannot wait to start taking their loads.

I'll have to check on a copay assistance program since until getting on PrEP, I haven't needed it.