HIV Symptoms?

wow4761

Hi guys-

Posted a story about my last load received and given but have an HIV related question.

i was perfectly healthy with no infections/illnesses .... and then today (1-day after hookup) I have:

= Extreme musle / body aches and soreness

- Very sore throat

- Headache

What are your thoughts on the likelihood I was stealthed and pozzed?

At first I didn't care about getting pozzed ... now I'm scared shitless.

The next day? Welcome to the medical history books!

I was at a retreat for PwHIV recently and someone brought a viral illness with them. Having met up on the Friday I was showing all the symptoms you list the following day, as are the people I've kept in touch with since the weekend. It sounds very much like "the thing that's going around". The only symptom I didn't have was the body aches and soreness (well, not above what I usually experience), but than I didn't spend time getting laid ;-) . My guess is you got a flu-type illness while having a bit of fun. Keep warm, drink more liquids than you think you need (wear a track between your sofa or bed and the bathroom!) and rest up till you feel better.

Guest JizzDumpWI

wow4761, 24 hours later? Probably nothing at all from the hookup. But probably a week ago you picked up a garden variety cold or flu.

At this point, even a high sensitivity test would not pick up HIV. You'll need to wait 10 more days for that one to show anything. How often do you normally test for STI's (including HIV)? Given you're now scared shitless, it might be worthwhile to consider PrEP if that is available in your area.

wow4761, 24 hours later? Probably nothing at all from the hookup. But probably a week ago you picked up a garden variety cold or flu.

At this point, even a high sensitivity test would not pick up HIV. You'll need to wait 10 more days for that one to show anything. How often do you normally test for STI's (including HIV)? Given you're now scared shitless, it might be worthwhile to consider PrEP if that is available in your area.

This would be a really bad time for PrEP (PrExposure Prophalaxis)- PrEP should only be started when you're pretty sure you're negative and don't have a likely exposure, and you should have tests verifying this.

But it might be a good time for PEP (Post Exposure Prophalaxis), as long as it was started within 72 hours of the potential exposure.

The only real way to know if you are hiv poz or not it to go and get tested. The symptoms that you describe could be any number of things, and there really is no way to tell, beyond medical testing if it is or is not.

Getting tested the day after would be pretty meaningless. I'd give it at least a week if you were going to get the (rather expensive) RNA test, or at least a month or two before getting an antibody test...

Guest JizzDumpWI
This would be a really bad time for PrEP (PrExposure Prophalaxis)- PrEP should only be started when you're pretty sure you're negative and don't have a likely exposure, and you should have tests verifying this.

But it might be a good time for PEP (Post Exposure Prophalaxis), as long as it was started within 72 hours of the potential exposure.

no physician will prescribe PrEP this quickly. so not an option for OP this week. But a newly identified realization that one does not want to convert suggests PrEP when can. PEP an option save it is unlikely given symptom timing this is an STI.

Guest JizzDumpWI
Getting tested the day after would be pretty meaningless. I'd give it at least a week if you were going to get the (rather expensive) RNA test, or at least a month or two before getting an antibody test...

RNA test detects in the 11 to 45 day window. So wait until 11th or 12th day. if you see PrEP in your future your doc will do that anyway. If you really believe you were exposed, go to ER right now. They can start you on a PEP regimen.

1 Day later pretty much says that it is not HIV. Not that you couldn't have gotten it, but getting sick a day later is just not because of HIV.

Given the fact that the flu is going around big time right now (it's the H1N1 "swine flu" from 2009 making a nasty comeback), most likely you picked up a unwelcome influenza virus.

Okay, thanks guys for your time and responses! ... well, I don't want HIV (right now). Still talking it over with my bf. So far he'd be fine with me getting it only if I give it to him. I can't agree with the latter part.

Anyway ... I did see a doctor to check for any other illnesses, and while the doctor did diagnose something else, it's getting much worse even with medication (and he didn't even test for it, just assumed it).

Counting down the days for a test.