PrEP in The Netherlands

LocalGuyTopNL

Does anyone here know if PrEP is available in The Netherlands? I can't find info about availability here online. If not through prescription, maybe via a test group or something (I wouldn't mind participating if conditions are to my liking)?

I havent heard of any testing group in the netherlands yet. As of right now PrEP is pretty much U.S. only, but there are several testing groups around the globe, IIRC, I know there is one in the UK, and I think there is one in Austraila. IMO, once its efficacy is shown in more than one place its use will expand quite quickly. At this point however PrEP is only about a year old so in medical terms its a fairly new use, so it may just take a bit of time.

Does anyone here know if PrEP is available in The Netherlands? I can't find info about availability here online. If not through prescription, maybe via a test group or something (I wouldn't mind participating if conditions are to my liking)?

PrEP is not available for the general public anywhere in Europe. If you are lucky you could find a doctor that may prescribe it off label and would issue a prescription but you would probably have to pay for it and its expensive, usually about 600 euros a month.

• 7 months later...
Amsterdam will start with a PreP research at the beginning of next year. I've been told the research will involve a group of 250 men who they'll follow over the course of 3 years. I sent an e-mail to GG&GD Amsterdam's homocohort in August to ask how I could be included and now I'm on the list of potential 'testers'. If you are interested, I'd suggest you do the same and just send them an e-mail. They will do a screening before the research starts, so no guarantees that you would be selected for the research, but it could be worth it. 

Also, on October 11th, Poz & Proud is organizing an informative evening about PreP. It's in Amsterdam and free of charge and it could be interesting to visit as also GG&GD Amsterdam will be there to explain more about their plans. 

If anybody hears about a trial or availability with PrEP in The Netherlands, please keep me posted!

Edited by naughtycute82

At this point however PrEP is only about a year old so in medical terms its a fairly new use, so it may just take a bit of time.

PrEP in the USA was authorised in late June/early July 2012 - I remember that particularly because I was in hospital at the time and had just read the news before the ward round and gave my doctor the third degree about her ideas on the subject. That will have been preceded by several years of testing (we're hoping that it will be available in the UK by 2017 since they insist on testing nation by nation). When truvada was first licensed as PrEP, its availability was almost a state secret in the USA.