Dallas Buyers Club

Wow, what a movie, I don't have HIV, my eyes have opened up more about the effects of this virus, all the people that have gotten,live with and have died from it, again you have my respect.It is just terrible. Nothing glamorous about it at all. I am not in the habit of judging people. But, I just wanted to say, that I have gained so much respect for all those affected by HIV. Why in the world would people want to bug chase is beyond me. I know I will get a lot of nasty comments but, why does a Sane healthy person want such an illness if you want to kill yourself jump off a bridge quick,easy,done.!!!!! Wasting away, getting sicker by the day in pain doesn't seem the way to go. Well at least to me. And to all those that are Already POZ, Bless you. And I wish you all the best. Sorry if you don't agree.

Thank you Ron Woodruff , Ryan white ,and all those that pioneered in an effort to help others. GOD BLESS YOU

• Administrators

From what I hear Dallas Buyers Club is sorta hated by the gay community. It makes a bisexual man out to be straight and has highly stereotypical portrayals of trans people. So if you managed to get all that out of such a questionable movie, imagine what you'd get out of a good one…

I highly recommend you read And The Band Played On. It was an incredible book that detailed the early years of the AIDS crisis. You'll get angry reading it. IMHO, it should be required reading for every gay man. It was made into a movie. I don't know how good the movie is.

The other movie to see is Longtime Companion. It was the film that really captured the pain of the AIDS crisis on a personal level.

I lived in Dallas/Ft Worth when all this started and helped start one of the first housing projects there. A lot of what a portrayed is very correct. The lead role though is not bisexual. If you watch the movie closely, you see he is a straight man that contracted it through drugs and unprotected sex. It is well with watching, and will hit a lot of nerves for some people.

• Administrators
The lead role though is not bisexual. If you watch the movie closely, you see he is a straight man that contracted it through drugs and unprotected sex. It is well with watching, and will hit a lot of nerves for some people.

That's my point - the guy was bisexual in real life, but the film portrayed him as a homophobic straight guy…

The main reason Dr Saks appears to have been turned into a woman is so that Woodroof can have a gentle flirtation with her. In the film, Woodroof is definitely not gay. Not gay at all. Not even a teeny bit. In fact, he's a rampant homophobe, which usually suggests someone might actually be a teeny bit gay and trying to hide it – but he isn't, at all. Just a great big straighty straight, that's him. This characterisation is based on interviews carried out with Woodroof shortly before his death by one of the film's screenwriters, Craig Borten. However, since the film has come out, some of Woodroof's close friends and associates have said he was never homophobic, and perhaps even had relationships with men as well as women himself. If this is true, it would mess up the movie's neat redemptive arc, in which a homophobe gradually realises that gay people are people too. Real life is often super inconvenient for story structure.

Read all the ways the movie is fucked up here…

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/feb/12/dallas-buyers-club-accurate-matthew-mcconaughey

It's a film not a documentary and it is based upon a series of interviews which Woodruff gave in which he claimed to have a girlfriend never once mentioning that he may have slept with guys. It is very true the filmmakers decided to ramp up the homophobia for the film which gives it an interesting conflict but the homophobia of a gay or bisexual man who doesn't tell a reporter doing an in depth interview that he has sexual relations with men given the subject matter of the film perhaps has just manifested itself in a different light. Very true that a few people did approach the filmmakers with the information that Woodruff was believed to be bisexual but by the time they approached the screenplay on this project and the approach had pretty well been completed and greenlighted. The film was iffy to begin with. This was at least the third attempt to tell the story. To try and change at this point would have meant disaster for this underfunded effort. As it was the filmmakers still had to beg borrow and practically steal to get the film completed. At first the reception to the film and the performers was great in the gay community. Later the naysayers began to pick at everything in the movie as one can always do in a fact based film. A similar thing happened with Brokeback Mountain. It was heralded and hailed when it first opened but by the time Oscars rolled around, the film was being condemned by many in the community for not having a happy ending. Most great love stories do not as i was saying the other day at tea with Lady Capulet and Mr. Tolstoy.

Dallas Buyers Club was an awful movie. Not only was the movie just plain bad, it was loaded with stereotypes and fake drama. Don't waste your time on this. it was a travesty that uber narcissist whats-his-name won an oscar for it.