Prep in Memphis area

curiousaboutbb

Any infectious disease doctor should be open minded enough to prescribe it to you. Also look for gay friendly general practitioners, ask your gay friends what doctors they go to there. There has to be at least one close to you which is cool with it.

Done all of the above. The ID offices seem to only want to treat the disease. One of them even said as much. The link provided doesn't seem to pull any Memphis listings. Trying to locate someone through friends. It's crazy it's this hard to locate a provider.

I'd suggest you shout a message to the PrEPFacts facebook group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrEPFacts/

They are very knowledgeable in how to go about your problem and maybe they can even provide specific doctors for your area.

Done all of the above. The ID offices seem to only want to treat the disease. One of them even said as much. The link provided doesn't seem to pull any Memphis listings. Trying to locate someone through friends. It's crazy it's this hard to locate a provider.

Well to be honest, you dont need anyone other than a GP. Any doctor can prescribe PrEP. You may have to print out some info and give it to them, and be prepared for backlash, but they can do it.

I actually found a page that tells how many scripts were written under Medicare part d by doctors in TN. One in particular is a professor at UT Medical School. He has written well over 300. He is an ID so he might not be prescribing for prep but atleast he knows the drug. Here is the link http://projects.propublica.org/checkup/drugs/6450/states/tennessee?by=desc&sort=city

• 2 months later...

Ok so I started this thread back in April trying to find someone to prescribe PREP in Memphis. I wanted too update you on my lack of progress and get some feed back on my experience. I talked with a friend who suggested a doctor who is gay. I contacted his office and he was out on medical leave until September, so I continued my search. Talked to the local aids organization and they directed me to a planned parenthood type clinic. I contacted them in June and asked if they provided it. A lady said she would check and call me back. She called back and said yes they did provide it. I asked for the first available appointment and it was for a month away on July 22.

I went in today and I must say I was a little disappointed. The nurse practitioner came in and asked the reason for my visit. I told her I wanted to talk about PREP. She said sure. She continued to explain that PREP was mainly for use in sero-discordant relationships or situations where there was repeated exposure to HIV. She then asked me several questions about sexual practices. Two of the questions were number of partners more than 1 and unprotected sex in the last 6 months. Both of which I answered yes. She said based on my answers I did not meet the clinical criteria for being on PREP. She went on to discourage it because of on going side effects such as stomach and intestinal issues. It was clear she was against it. She said she would prescribe it once testing was done but that insurance would likely not cover it since I didn't meet the clinical criteria. I asked her why was the clinical criteria different from CDC recommendations. She said that was the CDC guidelines for prescribing. I told her those have been updated to include MSM. She said she would review it and get back to me. She suggested we move ahead with testing and meet back once results were in. I then asked what type of test she would be using to test for HIV she said a rapid test. I questioned her further about I thought an RNA test was required since I have been active in the last month. She said no reason to use it. She ordered the baseline test for blood panel,kidneys etc and a full STI panel to include a blood HIV test, but not RNA test. I consented to the testing, but left the clinic feeling I was better educated than the practitioner.

The nurse practitioner called me about 45 minutes later and said she had reviewed the updated guidelines and I would qualify. She also said the test she had ordered would be sufficient for testing before starting prep. I am concerned as to the adequacy of care. Although i had negative rapid test last month and I have no reason to believe I have been exposed to HIV is she doing the appropriate test? I don't have a lot of options here, what should I do?

• Administrators

My doctor only did a simple rapid test before giving me PrEP as well - and he's gay and practicing in one of the biggest gay and lesbian health centers in the nation. I wouldn't worry too much about the rapid test vs the RNA test.

It sounds like you're in an area where getting care will be hard and you've got someone who may not be 100% current on things, but she's willing to do research and say she was wrong. PrEP isn't that hard to monitor - personally I'd stick with her unless you think you can get better care elsewhere. Just make sure you stay informed - it's not a bad idea to know more than your NP, take her copies of new studies when you see her, etc.

Thanks RT. One other thing I find shocking is how long the process takes. We are not scheduled to meet back until august 15th to go over results. If I decide to go on it then, I am sure I will have to get insurance approval. Most likely it will be September before I actually get to start taking it.

• 3 weeks later...