Syph Test Results... And Things Get Interesting Again...

My last thread about possibly having contracted syphilis from a fuck buddy who advised me that he had tested positive for it has come to a conclusion... A bit has happened since then, so here goes....

About three weeks ago, I visited my ID doc. He took a look at the blister-ish sore on my thigh and quickly dismissed it and said that syphilis chancres don't usually look like that or grow in that area. But still, he wanted me to get tested so he wrote a script for me to go get tested at a Labcorp.

That weekend (two weeks ago now), I noticed that the lower part of my shaft felt irritated. I took a close look and noticed that there was a red bump with a pubic hair growing out of it. Thinking it may have been an infected hair follicle, I yanked the hair out (maybe shouldn't have done that, I don't know) and there was a slightly raised bump about the size of a pinhead with a hole in the middle it looked like. It bled a tiny bit. Days went by and it started looking EXACTLY like a syph chancre, which I have seen many pictures of. So here I thought, that's it... That's the chancre right there. I was certain that it was, so I was fully expecting a positive syphilis result.

Last Tuesday, I went and got the blood drawn and was told the results should be in in a few days. My doctor called me late this afternoon. I was FULLY expecting he was going to tell me it was a positive result. He told me just the opposite. Test came back negative. I was shocked and relieved. I was able to go out with a few friends now even more amped up to watch the USA-Ghana game (GO USA!!) and have one less thing on my mind.

But now this has me wondering... What IS this thing at the base of my shaft? It is a bit painful when it's touched or pressure is applied to it. I have attached a couple of pictures here, one of which is a close up. I am not expecting to get a diagnosis here, but has anyone seen or had anything like that before?

post-11746-140864354589_thumb.jpg

post-11746-140864354592_thumb.jpg

Guest JizzDumpWI

Any other feeling pop? an itch a few days ago? could be, most likely is a minor infected hair follicle that will heal on its own. But if you had a maddening itch there in the past week or so, coulf be herpes sore ( which will also resolve in a few days).

JD- Nope, nothing. It doesn't feel like anything when I leave it alone. From what I know, herpes is insanely painful and/or itchy. This thing is only a bother if it's touched. What is messing with me is if it were an infected hair follicle, I would have thought it would have cleared up by now, but again, I'm no doctor, I could be wrong.

Any other feeling pop? an itch a few days ago? could be, most likely is a minor infected hair follicle that will heal on its own. But if you had a maddening itch there in the past week or so, coulf be herpes sore ( which will also resolve in a few days).

I don't want to be a downer but according to this ( http://www.rainbow-project.org/sh/syphilis ) it may take 2 to 90 days for blood syphilis antibody test to turn positive.. it takes a while for your body to produce antibodies to Syphilis. Seems like you you should check in a couple of months to see if you are in the clear. If it turns positive, penicilin should take care of it right away.

Another option is that you get a NAAT syphilis test of that chancre, that would be very conclusive either way, but for that you need someone to swab carefully the chancres while they are still there. Good luck.

I don't want to be a downer but according to this ( http://www.rainbow-project.org/sh/syphilis ) it may take 2 to 90 days for blood syphilis antibody test to turn positive.. it takes a while for your body to produce antibodies to Syphilis. Seems like you you should check in a couple of months to see if you are in the clear. If it turns positive, penicilin should take care of it right away.

Another option is that you get a NAAT syphilis test of that chancre, that would be very conclusive either way, but for that you need someone to swab carefully the chancres while they are still there. Good luck.

rawfuckr, it's interesting... The sources I have found about syphilis show me great big differences in expectations of when the chancre shows and when the testing should show as accurate.

They say that the chancre will usually show 3 weeks post infection, but can also show up to 90 days. Then most sources say that 5-6 weeks should be accurate for a test, but like you said, could take up to 90 days.

My exposure was April 12. My blood was drawn June 10, so it was over 8 weeks. According to these sources, it would be very unusual for the chancre to have shown this late as well as for the test to produce a false negative this late. I'm going to ask my doc what he thinks I should do as far as re-testing.

What I want to know is why you haven't asked a clinical doctor about the new spot on your shaft. None of us can give you significant medical advice about it, even if we had a PhD, and a doctor can run actual tests...

Ask a doctor, show him your cock, and ask for more tests if you aren't satisfied. We can only speculate, and pictures only do so much. He examined your leg, not your cock, so he might say something different this time. If you aren't satisfied, THEN I'd say asking us is in order ;)

rawfuckr, it's interesting... The sources I have found about syphilis show me great big differences in expectations of when the chancre shows and when the testing should show as accurate.

They say that the chancre will usually show 3 weeks post infection, but can also show up to 90 days. Then most sources say that 5-6 weeks should be accurate for a test, but like you said, could take up to 90 days.

My exposure was April 12. My blood was drawn June 10, so it was over 8 weeks. According to these sources, it would be very unusual for the chancre to have shown this late as well as for the test to produce a false negative this late. I'm going to ask my doc what he thinks I should do as far as re-testing.

I didn't realize it had been two months. It really doesn't sound very plausible this would be syphilis. The antibody test would have picked it up by now.

Have you thought it could be a herpes sore? If it hurts a bit it may just be that. They can test for those too but test is expensive although usually covered by insurance. They Swab the sore and send it to the lab. Blood tests for herpes are pretty much useless.

Let's see - you had a bump with a hair growing out of it, and you yanked out the hair. That left a hole in the middle. Because it had a hole in the middle, your mind runs further into the "It's a chancre" thoughts. It bled when you pulled out the hair. If you pull out a nearby hair, I'd bet that wouldn't bleed. I think your initial reaction of an infected hair root is the most logical explanation. Put some Polysporin on it, and see if it clears up in a few days. If it persists, defiantly get it checked by a doctor.

It's getting to be warmer weather. Our crotches tend to be sweaty places. (Don't get me wrong - that man musk can be great when things get hot and heavy.) If a hair root becomes infected down there, it tends to be a lot worse than other places. I had a very similar worry when I started riding my bike a lot, and got saddle sores (which are just clogged and infected pours). Because you've had one, it kind of means that conditions are ripe for more. Wash your crotch and butt with some anti-bacterial soap every day. Try to let the area "air dry" before getting dressed.

Maybe my approach above is too calm. I know you're doing really well, and have come a long way since January. But possibly your reaction is a little resurfacing of the "I've got HIV. Every infection, cough, cold, or the flu is THE BEGGING OF THE END." It's a stupid subconscious thing that creeps into our brain for the first few years after diagnosis. The Syph scare just made it worse. And some of the suggestions here are also feeding that. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's just a thought worth considering.

I really do love this site and the fictional & accurate stories & discussions... but the more I read about possible infections with things other than HIV, I am kinda happy I've stopped whoring around (for now) and dating (REAL DATING OMG) a super nice (neg) guy....

Rayne, correction from my initial post... It wasn't my actual doctor who called me with the results, it was another doctor from his office as he is on vacation this week. If it were my doctor who called me, I would have asked him, but I did not want to start a whole new thing with a different doctor.

Have you tried putting neosporin on it. I get those ingrown hairs on my legs and thighs sometimes and rthey can get really painful like a bad zip so i put neosporin on it and that usually helps get rid of the infection fast.

Rayne, correction from my initial post... It wasn't my actual doctor who called me with the results, it was another doctor from his office as he is on vacation this week. If it were my doctor who called me, I would have asked him, but I did not want to start a whole new thing with a different doctor.

I still say you should go to A doctor, and it doesn't really matter who. Just make another appointment, or go to a clinic somewhere, and have it checked out. I didn't say you had to ask the guy who gave you results, just a doctor who can take a look himself.

I still say you should go to A doctor, and it doesn't really matter who. Just make another appointment, or go to a clinic somewhere, and have it checked out. I didn't say you had to ask the guy who gave you results, just a doctor who can take a look himself.

I have an appointment with my ID doctor in two weeks. I am thinking about just waiting until I see him then. If it is actually syphilis and the test unusually didn't pick it up yet, it's not going to kill me in the next couple weeks.