PREP Holiday.

smartass

Hi,

I've been on PREP for about 4 months now and will be taking a prep holiday to see if symptons are side effects of Truvada. The Doctor at the sexual health clinic has suggested I take a break for a few weeks to see if that makes a difference. The only thing that's got me abit concerned is that he said that he that I only need to take Truvada for 3 days after my last risky exposure and then I can stop.

He explained this is because the HIV virus itself can not live for long (inside and outside body), it needs to reach 'a area of the body' And that 3 truvada after last exposure is fine.

I'd like to get others opinion. Is this really the case ? I've seen others suggest 30 days

30 days POST EXPOSURE makes sense i.e PEP but surely if you've got the level of protection from PREP, it acts as barrier. The doctors rationale seem right and I just wanna put it out there?

I've been on PREP for about 4 months now and will be taking a prep holiday to see if symptons are side effects of Truvada.

What side effects do you think are having?

The only thing that's got me abit concerned is that he said that he that I only need to take Truvada for 3 days after my last risky exposure and then I can stop.

Had not heard this before. Seemed like the standard to stop was 4 weeks of PrEP without risky events to emulate a PEP protocol. Anyone has any idea what this 3 day rule could be based on?

ARVs are designed to have a long half life. I believe it takes the best part of a week for the body to get rid of the last dose of truvada. The tenofovir component is especially aggressive towards HIV. Remember that with PrEP if you have taken on board some HIV, your body is already an HIV no-go zone. For PEP, the HIV sets up home first and starts multiplying (which is why PEP is pointless after 72 hours: HIV, if present, has got into enough cells to establish itself) so the drugs need to be heavier and taken for a longer period of time because you're treating a potential infection.

I repeat rawfuckr's question: what side effects are you having? Many are avoidable, and for the unavoidable ones there are ways around them. I took truvada for about five years, as treatment rather than prophylaxis, and still take the FTC component, the tenofovir component having caused kidney damage. I fell out of the side effect tree years ago and I swear I hit every branch on the way down - I might be able to help with ideas to avoid trouble.

Thanks for the info, but I'm still unclear !

I think I understand the theory behind it. But is 3 days of Prep after last sex really enough before taking prep 'holiday' ? Or should I take it longer, just to be on the safe side. And how much longer ? Thanks

If you're nervous, err on the side of caution: it's your body! If swallowing a few extra truvada pills makes you feel better psychologically, go for it. Psychological health is just as important as physical health. I'd reckon that 7 days after your last risky encounter is more than adequate. Making the PEP comparison again, PEP is useless after three days because by the HIV has got a grip: if your last sex involved you taking a positive load, there was already enough truvada in your system to deal with it. The extra doses you're thinking about are for reassurance. And yeah, were I in your position, I'd probably go a few extra days too "just to make sure": if I need an antibiotic that's normally prescribed for a week, I always ask for a ten day prescription and so on.

Thanks for the info, but I'm still unclear !

I think I understand the theory behind it. But is 3 days of Prep after last sex really enough before taking prep 'holiday' ? Or should I take it longer, just to be on the safe side. And how much longer ? Thanks

If you have been on it for 4 months whats another 7 days to make sure?

Personally I wouldn't do just three days even if experts told me too. Its just the cautious side of me. With that said make sure you take the medication at least 7 days prior to a risky encounter if you start it again. Also remind yourself that you are NOT on PrEP, and that you shouldn't have risky sex while on your PrEP holiday. Nothing would suck more than seroconverting while being off PrEP when you still have access to it.

• 4 weeks later...

This is interesting and I have recently asked the same question in another thread .. I have been advised to keep taking PrEP for THIRTY (30) days after a possible exposure!

The advice out there is not particularly accurate for this scenario.

Guest JizzDumpWI

We're all still sorting through the "how to's". 30 days won't hurt you. But if doc tells you 3 days, and you trust him, listen to him...