New BB site

• Administrators

I signed up and tried it briefly. There aren't any users on it. I think in NYC they just had 4 registered members or something (just checked and they're up to 11). And it was a lot more difficult to navigate than BBRT. IMHO - it needs work and isn't worth the bother until it improves (both in interface and activity).

Having talked to Pig Master and watched his progress over the years, hookup sites are not easy to get off the ground. They use an incredible amount of bandwidth and their load on servers is incredible. I think Pig Master said he has something like a dozen servers dedicated to BarebackRT. Most people who start hookup sites aren't prepared for that amount of work and expense. The message at the bottom of BBBreeders that his site is costing him a whopping $340/mo is sorta funny to me - that's nothing - and I wonder whether he has what will take to really do the site well. Not that I want to see him fail - I'm just skeptical. I won't be promoting it until it shows more promise. In the meantime BarebackRT is where it's at for bareback hookups...

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would like to see more sites which are less populated by HIV-frightened folks. Maybe it's just my misfortune to live in a major metropolitan area with one of the highest infection rates in the country... but there are a TON of folks who are completely misinformed about the virus who would rather have blatantly unsafe sex (and not even ask about status) with a 'married' guy than take reasonable precautions with someone who is truthful about being poz. It leads to duplicity and anonymity and animosity toward both poz and neg members.

There is a site in CA, oralservicem4m that makes it clear that the site is for non-reciprocal hookups of an oral nature, no questions asked. Those who break the policy are banned. Those who have issues with the policy are advised not to join.

I would love to see a similar policy for a BB site. If you aren't cool with the policy, be warned and look elsewhere. But if you sign up and know what you are looking for and the dangers associated... you can agree to participate without retribution and constant questioning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Well, it seems to have only lasted a month... Here's the email I just got from the guy running the site...

Hey Guys Sadly I must take BBBreeders.com offline. At this moment I can no longer afford to carry the $340 hosting fee.

This is only a temporary situation -- I will continue to develop the site offline, and will add many new features and will come back online with a new host and in a much stronger fiscal situation.

Don't worry your information will stay safe and PRIVATE, and when I bring the site back up you will be able to access your profile as you are today.

Thanks for your understanding.

SupportHole

It's expensive to get a hookup site up and running. There's a reason why I support BBRT - it's up, established and pretty damn good. Really if you're going to compete with it you have to do a bigger and more impressive job. It's the reason why I haven't tried to compete with BBRT...

Well, it seems to have only lasted a month... Here's the email I just got from the guy running the site...

It's expensive to get a hookup site up and running. There's a reason why I support BBRT - it's up, established and pretty damn good. Really if you're going to compete with it you have to do a bigger and more impressive job. It's the reason why I haven't tried to compete with BBRT...

didn't bbrt just about kill bareback.com ? bbrt has a good interface and it's was really affordable unlike bareback.com - they were charging WAY too much.

• Administrators
didn't bbrt just about kill bareback.com ? bbrt has a good interface and it's was really affordable unlike bareback.com - they were charging WAY too much.

Right around the time bareback.com did some updates that made using the site frustratingly difficult, barebackrt.com started achieving critical mass and had a far better interface. bareback.com could have held onto their dominance if they hadn't fucked up their interface. It was just a matter of barebackrt.com being ready and able when their major competitor crashed.

Here's the chonology...

November 2007

Bareback.com's new interface sucked

Bareback.com's customer service was horrible

December 2007

BarebackRT reaches critical mass with a good interface

Timing is everything in life and business... ;)

Yeah I fucking HATE bareback.com's interface. I have never been able to successfully navigate that site.

Anyone remember some of the earlier sites no longer with us? Barebackcity was actually really fun and cool to use, but unfortunately the owners never could deal with the bandwidth costs and the whole thing fell apart because it was a money pit with latency that drove people away.

I'm not sure but I think there was another bareback hookup site around at the same time. Or maybe that was the old bareback.com which I vaguely recall liking.

The very first barebacking website was one run by a guy out of Texas (I think) that I found in the mid-90s. It not only talked about raw sex at a time when that was a major taboo, but was very frank about deliberately passing HIV around. That site was the first one when I heard about the terms "gift giving" and "bug chasing." It's also been the only (mostly) text website that' consistently got me hard and blowing a load. I know the site folded after a few years; I think the proprietor got sick and is likely no longer with us.

I don't suppose anyone knows the site I'm talking about (I forget the name) and if it's been preserved anywhere? I checked the wayback machine a few months ago, but got nothing.