Just Started Taking Triumeq

After taking Atripla for about 5 years my Infectious Disease doctor started a conversaton about switching to Triumeq, that was released in the fall of 2014. My results with Atripla were good, i was undetectable within 3 months of taking it so I was cautious about changing something that was working. The first morning after taking Triumeq I felt much clearer and felt like I had slept better than I had in years. With Atripla I always felt like my brain was in a fog every morning and I couldn't concentrate and also if I got up in the middle of the night my legs felt like they were weighted down. I am excited about my first day of the new med and hope it continues to perform at this level.

I have been taking the components of Triumeq, Tivicay and Epzicon, for about a year now with excellent results and no side effect. I start Triumeq today after finishing my last Epzicon. I only lasted a couple of weeks on Atripla befor the side effects made me stop. I am sure you will be happier with Triumeq.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just switched to Triumeq today. So far so good. I smoked some pot after taking it, and still no adverse reactions. I'll keep you updated. My doctor said a small percentage of people get headaches or have insomnia their first month, but that it usually goes away between 4-6 weeks. 

Edited by bttmsubslut
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still on Triumeq and no side effects 

:D That's right - prove me a liar! I often say that the reason you hear so much about side effects is that no-one post messages like yours.

I've long thought that atripla, or more specifically efavirenz should be put on the "emergencies only" list, as it were. Although it's very good at getting the viral load down, it probably has the worst side effect profileof any drug in still in use. Pozbtm4breeding's comments about feeling so much better for changing to triumeq remind me of how I felt when I stopped taking old-formulation ritonavir and realised how ill it had been making me.

• Upvote 1

The only new component of triumeq is dolutegravir which I'm taking as a stand-alone. Since it mustn't be taken near vitamin or mineral supplements (because the molecules of the supplements can latch onto the dolutegravir molecules this restricting its absorption - slap your doctor if they didn't warn you about this!) I take it last thing at night. I'm only a couple of week into it and all I've noticed is a difference in my sleep pattern which could well be from other causes. I'm betting it's life getting in the way of sleep as I had no problems at all with raltegravir. I "upgraded" from raltegravir at my doctor's insistence: the only other option would have been darunavir/r monotherapy which has shown good results in trials, but she felt it wasn't enough for me with my history of resistances and allergies to drugs.

Lamuvudine is perfectly tame in the side effect department, but I haven't taken abacavir as I'm one of the 8% of people of north European origin who have the gene HLA*5701 - this makes severe allergy almost a certainty, and restarting abacavir after an allergic reaction linked to 5701 usually results in death.

Depeding on what you pay for your meds, it might be worth asking about asking about what they'd cost if they were three separate pills. A recent report quoted by www.aidsmap.com said that there was no difference is efficacy between taking a compound pill or the individual ingredients, and that, in the UK, we could expect to see a reduction of the use of compound pills as they're a way of extending patents and cost up to five times more than their components supplied individually.