They Don't Know If I'm Positive

So last week I got a call from a place I donate plasma at that I tested positive for HIV back in February and then another test they just rand came up Indeterminate...so the next day I had an appointment to get tested just to make sure and to go over sexual history so they could call people and tell them to get tested. Fast forward to today after a week of...numbness would be the best word to describe it, and I go in to the doctors ready for the counseling and talking about medication and stuff and they tell me that the rapid HIV test they did came up positive as did some other test. But, and I think this is what they said it was, the test that actually checks for the virus came back non reactive so they couldn't tell me for sure if I am positive or am not. They said I could be and its just new, I was exposed to something that made me test positive, or I am one of the 1% of the population who is immune haha. While I'm happy cause it gives a glimmer of hope that I am negative and will definitely make me not bareback anymore if I am negative or positive, I wish I had an answer regardless. I go back in a month for another test just incase the virus is new and didn't show up but I apparently originally tested positive in February at the plasma place and I hadn't had sex since October when I first donated so that makes me think that it would have had plenty of time to show up if I really am. All these bi polar tests...

Edited by 19HairyBoy

I would think that same thing. However, the test next month will confirm one way or the other. It really sucks to have to live with this until then. You can also have your test done at another clinic that uses a different lab. I think I would do that for my own peace of mind. If the test was done at LabCorp, try Quest. Hope everything works out for you. Let us know.

• 4 weeks later...

Went a week early and got tested and got the results today. I'm negative! Though now I have to figure out why I tested positive in the first place.

depending on what type of test used, it seems like certain tests have a much higher rate of false positives.  Anyway congrats on the great news.