Starting To Work On A Site Upgrade For Breeding Zone…

rawTOP

• Administrators

FYI… I'm starting to work on a site software upgrade. I'm not sure how long it will take. It's rather major. It would be lovely if everything went smoothly and I was able to get it done today. But something tells me that's not how it will go and I'll actually just start testing things today and the full migration will happen early next week.

This is just a warning that if you see anything odd happening – that's probably the reason. And when I do the final migration the site will be down during the upgrade – probably for hours.

Oh, and when I'm done the site will look completely different. So don't be confused by that.

When I have a test environment up and running I'll suggest you login to it and try it out. Any bugs you find can get fixed before everyone is encountering them.

And for those of you who are wondering about the technical details… I'm upgrading from IP.Board 3 to IP.Board 4. IPB4 is a complete ground-up rewrite, so it's a major upgrade.

• Administrators

Turns out I'm having to upgrade the old version of the software to the latest (dot) version. That was just done. Now I'm having to change the database to UTF-8 (a technical issue related to how it stores strings with things like accented characters). I'll be testing that soon, so there may be issue that crop up in the testing, but I can revert back if things don't look right. THEN I can start looking into upgrading to IPB4. But it's Friday afternoon and I'm getting tired and out-of-town guests are about to arrive. So we'll see. I'd like to get the test environment up today, if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I will echo some other comments, thanks for doing this site.  it works well and has a nice combination of information and fantasy.  No doubt for any real barebacker or those who just want the fetish, this is a must see site.   

Two things for future considerations......some sort of on going tally sheet for measuring loads the whole team has taken (scoreboard) and maybe a better search tool or registry for willing tops and bottoms to connect with each other.

• 2 months later...

I don't know where to post this but it relates to the interface. All of the additional information about a post like date, poster, description, most recent poster are all missing. I run Firefox as my browser. Is there a problem specific to my browser or is this a general problem?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest bukkakio

Hope it's the right section of the forums for this... how about a world map of all users? Would improve the site a lot imho.

• rawTOP unpinned this topic