What a man dying of AIDS looks like..

Guest PozGoat

Guest PozGoat

I've done a couple of threads here on BZ about my ultimate fagcrush, Freddie Mercury.

This is the last video that he and Queen made. Freddie died in 1991 of bronchial pneumonia, a complication associated with AIDS about 3 months after this video was made. He is very gaunt and almost unrecognizable. Sadly, he looked very emaciated. It was said that during the filming of this vid, his Kaposi Sarcoma was so bad that he had a severe lesion on his left foot and leg that made him almost have to stand still just to make it through filming. Freddie was always known for dancing all over the stage during his performances. He also wore heavy makeup to cover the KS lesions on his face and neck.

Brian May's guitar solo brings a tear to my eye every time i listen to this song.

Another vid of Queen that shows AIDS progression in Freddie, filmed about a year before his death. Freddie grew a beard to cover the newly forming KS lesions on his face and neck. Brian May's guitar solo gives me goosebumps.. What a fucking band!

Freddie Mercury was one of the best showmen in rock history. Still saddened by his death, and heartbreaking to see him in these videos. But thanks so much for sharing them.

Guest descartes70817

I had the pleasure of meeting Freddie just before the band went to Wales to record Bohemian Rhapsody at a sex slave auction party in London in 1975. He had Brain May in tow and wanted to see what all the noise was about, as apparently I was the main attraction of this particular auction. That was when I fond out just how gay he was years before it became public knowledge.

He was a vivid, committed performer who left us much too soon.

There was an article in the NY Times (I think?) recently about the importance of "gay sensibility" in the evolution of the male rock star. They mentioned (among others) Brian Epstein who managed the Beatles for many years.  Freddy was one of our own, and watching him perform so fearlessly is deeply moving.