HIV genetic immunity

I saw a report on CNN international (I'm in Holland) where a man with both cancer and HIV had his total immune system wiped out (as is normal when treating cancer). Then he was given stem cells from a donor who was proven to be genetically HIV resistant. After the stem cells went to work, replacing the bone marrow in the ill patient, the patient then went on to test HIV neg and no longer needs HIV meds.

My question................

WHERE can some one get tested for this genetic mutation? It obviously can be done. But where?

I have decades of POZ barebacking but never contracted the virus. IF i turn out to be genetically resistant I would be willing to provide stem cells (or what ever is needed) to help others.

• Administrators

I've actually been looking into this and have been thinking of getting tested to see if I'm immune. 23andMe.com seems to be the leading place to get tested - both Google and Genentech have invested in the company. HIV resistance/immunity is one of many things they test and report back to you. They have a big sale on at the moment - it costs just $99 plus $5/month for a year (total is $159).

• Administrators

I just ordered the test from 23andMe.com - $173 with shipping and the year's subscription prepaid... After 12/25 it'll cost $400 more - though they do seem to keep running these $99 specials (plus 1 year membership). Will be interesting so see what they find.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah thats what I heard - if your ancestry includes French/German/Polish - Baltic ancestors who made it thru the black death of the 13th century , you might qualifiy.

All my grandparents (french on moms side/polish on fathers) survived the Spanish Flu outbreak so that might show some credibility.